Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Best Approach to Worksheet Synchronization

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get your opinion on the best approach to this task
without having programming skills. I'm pretty good at Excel, use
macros and read them some. Sometimes I copy macros from these news
groups and do greatly appreciate the help.

Here's my assignment. Its a responsibility matrix for all employees
matching their job descriptions.

Exec worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP1 VP2 VP3
2 Task 1 x x
3 Task 2 x
4 Task 3 x x x
5 Task 4 x

Dept1 worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP1 A1 A2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x

Dept2 worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP2 B1 B2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x

Dept3 worksheet
A B C D
1 Task List VP3 C1 C2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x x

For Dept1, VP1's task in B2 would be =IF(Exec!$B2<"",Exec!$B2,"") and
so on for B3, B4, etc.

The point being that the President gets password/edit access to the
Exec Worksheet and each of the three VP's get password/edit access to
only their department and they cannot change their own task because it
comes from the Exec worksheet.

All other job positions like A1 or B2 have no relationship to other
cells; only the VP's.

This all seems well and good; the President and each VP have their own
password protected worksheet. But, what do I do if someone wants to
add or delete rows?

Of course, this senario assumes that every worksheet has every task
listed, even if that task is not being done by anyone on that
worksheet, but I can't see any way around that.

It's actually bigger than I presented here with 6 Executives, 10+VP
Dept1, 2+VP Dept2, 5+VP Dept3, 12+VP Dept4 (35 positions). It looks
like there will be about 600 tasks.

Thank you,

Michele