Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mjones mjones is offline

Default Best Approach to Worksheet Synchronization

Hi Otto,

Thanks for responding.

I really need to know how to handle adding/deleting rows in Exec so
they will automatically add/delete in the Dept? worksheets. For
example, adding a task between 2 and 3 (say 2a) in Exec needs to add
the same task in the other 3 Dept? worksheets.

I mentioned the passwords only because it would be okay to have all the
postions in one spreadsheet, except for the fact that certain columns
can only be editted by certain people and I don't think you can have
five different passwords on one spreadsheet and I can't think of an
alternative solution.

I know how to limit access to specific sheets with passwords.
I know how to limit access to specifc cells (with only one password).

I hope you are able to help with this information. I really need to
get this task done, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get
it done.

Thanks again,

Michele
---------------

Otto Moehrbach wrote:
Michele
I'm not sure what you are asking help with. You are long on explanation
(that's good) but short on questions.
Are you asking how you can limit access to specific sheets, with passwords?
Are you asking how you can limit access to specific cells?
Are you asking how you can preclude anyone from adding or deleting a row?
Or are you asking how you can accommodate someone adding or deleting a row?
Please post back and clarify what you need help with. HTH Otto
"mjones" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get your opinion on the best approach to this task
without having programming skills. I'm pretty good at Excel, use
macros and read them some. Sometimes I copy macros from these news
groups and do greatly appreciate the help.

Here's my assignment. Its a responsibility matrix for all employees
matching their job descriptions.

Exec worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP1 VP2 VP3
2 Task 1 x x
3 Task 2 x
4 Task 3 x x x
5 Task 4 x

Dept1 worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP1 A1 A2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x

Dept2 worksheet:
A B C D
1 Task List VP2 B1 B2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x

Dept3 worksheet
A B C D
1 Task List VP3 C1 C2
2 Task 1 x
3 Task 2 x x
4 Task 3 x
5 Task 4 x x

For Dept1, VP1's task in B2 would be =IF(Exec!$B2<"",Exec!$B2,"") and
so on for B3, B4, etc.

The point being that the President gets password/edit access to the
Exec Worksheet and each of the three VP's get password/edit access to
only their department and they cannot change their own task because it
comes from the Exec worksheet.

All other job positions like A1 or B2 have no relationship to other
cells; only the VP's.

This all seems well and good; the President and each VP have their own
password protected worksheet. But, what do I do if someone wants to
add or delete rows?

Of course, this senario assumes that every worksheet has every task
listed, even if that task is not being done by anyone on that
worksheet, but I can't see any way around that.

It's actually bigger than I presented here with 6 Executives, 10+VP
Dept1, 2+VP Dept2, 5+VP Dept3, 12+VP Dept4 (35 positions). It looks
like there will be about 600 tasks.

Thank you,

Michele