Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Enter signs w/o Excel assuming it's a formula

Once more I've encountered a problem apparently caused by programmers not
paying attention to the users. I have a spreadsheet that MUST show the signs
(+/-) of a number. For one series, the unit MUST also show. So, positive
numbers MUST be shown as +##.### and negatives as -##.###. When units are
shown, the format MUST be +##.### lbs. and -##.### lbs. What's especially
aggravating is when I enter -##.### lbs., Excel assumes it's a formula, not
text. (This coding is only slightly less aggravating than Excel assuming
entering 234 + 456 is text, not a formual. At least Quattro Pro got that
right.)
Any suggestions?
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you need a + or - sign to appear in a text string, put an apostrophe to
the left of the + or - sign.

Alternatively, format the cells as text prior to entering the text string.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"RealGomer" wrote:

Once more I've encountered a problem apparently caused by programmers not
paying attention to the users. I have a spreadsheet that MUST show the signs
(+/-) of a number. For one series, the unit MUST also show. So, positive
numbers MUST be shown as +##.### and negatives as -##.###. When units are
shown, the format MUST be +##.### lbs. and -##.### lbs. What's especially
aggravating is when I enter -##.### lbs., Excel assumes it's a formula, not
text. (This coding is only slightly less aggravating than Excel assuming
entering 234 + 456 is text, not a formual. At least Quattro Pro got that
right.)
Any suggestions?
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just input the numbers, and let the Formatting do... the Formatting.
Enter -12.345. FormatCellsNumber tab, Custom Type: +00.000 "lbs";-00.000 "lbs"
Just an example, you may require # instead of 0, but hopefully you got the idea.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"RealGomer" wrote in message ...
| Once more I've encountered a problem apparently caused by programmers not
| paying attention to the users. I have a spreadsheet that MUST show the signs
| (+/-) of a number. For one series, the unit MUST also show. So, positive
| numbers MUST be shown as +##.### and negatives as -##.###. When units are
| shown, the format MUST be +##.### lbs. and -##.### lbs. What's especially
| aggravating is when I enter -##.### lbs., Excel assumes it's a formula, not
| text. (This coding is only slightly less aggravating than Excel assuming
| entering 234 + 456 is text, not a formual. At least Quattro Pro got that
| right.)
| Any suggestions?
| --
| I know enuff to be dangerous.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Niek, I never thought about using a custom format. I have to use them enough
for all the ID and account numbers we have to record.
Thanks!
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.