Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default After File Open View Preview get error message

I'm trying to preview the contents of my Excel files. The method for doing
that is File, Open , click on the Views icon on the far right (next to Tools
by the red X), select Preview from the drop down box. When I do this, I do
not get a preview of the Excel file - I get the message preview unavailable.
I cannot find any help in the Excel help files or in the Excel on-line
Knowledge Base. So, I'm hoping this group can solve my problem - solution?
--
big-bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a workbook setting. Some may have it, some may not.

Open a workbook that doesn't have this.
File|Properties|Summary Tab|Check "Save preview picture" at the bottom

Save and close and then see if that works.

big-bob wrote:

I'm trying to preview the contents of my Excel files. The method for doing
that is File, Open , click on the Views icon on the far right (next to Tools
by the red X), select Preview from the drop down box. When I do this, I do
not get a preview of the Excel file - I get the message preview unavailable.
I cannot find any help in the Excel help files or in the Excel on-line
Knowledge Base. So, I'm hoping this group can solve my problem - solution?
--
big-bob

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave, I'm getting closer to a solution. I tried your fix and this is
what happened. I Saved the file, then with the file still open, I open
Properties again and verified that the check was still there and thus Saved.
Then I closed the file and reopened it, and the check mark was gone. Then I
retested and repeated with same result. Also, with the box checked and
saved, before closing the file, I looked to see if I could see the preview
picture when doing a file open for that file and I couldn't. I think all of
this tells me that there is a global setting problem, probably not in Excel,
probably in security or utility software. Maybe it could be Tweak UI (avail
on Microsoft site). Maybe it could be Norton SystemWorks System Optimizer.
Maybe it could be some of the other malware programs. I don't know what else
would account for this behavior. Has anyone else got any ideas?
--
big-bob

big-bob wrote:

I'm trying to preview the contents of my Excel files. The method for doing
that is File, Open , click on the Views icon on the far right (next to Tools
by the red X), select Preview from the drop down box. When I do this, I do
not get a preview of the Excel file - I get the message preview unavailable.
I cannot find any help in the Excel help files or in the Excel on-line
Knowledge Base. So, I'm hoping this group can solve my problem - solution?
--
big-bob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh yes, no doubt about that. I checked the box, then hit save. It Saved, no
problem. After Save, I reopened properties, and verified that the file had
gone from unchecked to checked. So i6t Saved, no problem. Then I closed the
file, waited 30 seconds, and reopened it. I repeated all of these step 6-7
times. I even tried closing Excel, waiting a minute and re-opening Excel and
that was no help. I repeated that 2-3 times. Whenever I re-open the file, the
box was not checked, even though I could verify through File Properties that
the File was Saved with the box checked.

By the way, if it helps in reaching a solution, I am a very advanced user of
Excel.
--
big-bob