Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I create multiple column width in the same column in excel

I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't have different column widths within the same column. The entire
column must be the same width.

You could try merging 2 cells from adjacent columns but merging cells can
cause problems with some operations like sorting, filtering, etc. if you
haven't accounted for that in your design.

Biff

"Vish" wrote in message
I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Trust me, you cannot do that. Why not set the column width to the widest
amount that you need, and then both the smaller entries and the larger
entries will fit into the same column.
--
big-bob

"Vish" wrote:

I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Biff
spake thusly:

You can't have different column widths within the same
column. The entire column must be the same width.

You could try merging 2 cells from adjacent columns but merging
cells can cause problems [. . . .]

One other possibility that might be useful to the OP is to use
custom formatting to fake differing column widths. E.g.,
pad numbers on the right for some of the cells.

-dman-

In , Biff
spake thusly:

"Vish" wrote in message

I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column
needs to change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I create multiple column width in the same column in ex

I have two ranges of information one below the other. The column width needs
to be changed for it to work. Think of it as the top range with 4 columns of
3 cms and the bottom range with 3 columns of 4 cms each. Although the total
width of the range is the same, the columns do not match. I heard of the
picture function, where you bring the info from somewhere else and past is as
a picture. Is that an option? Is that the only option?

thanks

"Vish" wrote in message
I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Simple. Set up 8 columns as follows: first column is 1 wide, next column is
3 wide, next column is 1 wide, next column is 3 wide, etc. Put the data that
is 3 wide into the 3 wide column. For the 4 wide data: highlight the adjacent
1 wide and 3 wide cells such that a black box forms around the two adjacent
cells. Then execute Format Cells Alignment and check the Merge Cells box
and hit ok. What was previously two cells 1 wide and 3 wide now becomes a
cell that is four. And, this won't effect the other data that is three wide!
If you need to accomodate negative numbers, or formatting with commas, then
you will need for the 8 columns to be a little wider, such as alternating 2
wide and 4 wide, or perhaps 2.5 wide and 4.5 wide. but you can experiemnt
with.
--
big-bob

"Vish" wrote in message
I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No No. That was just an example. I do not have data exactly like 3s and 4s. I
just have data ranges that I need to put one below the other, but the column
widths are different for each range. If I increase the width of the column to
the widest in one range, I will be wasting the space in the other range.

"Vish" wrote in message
I need to create spreadsheets where the width of the same column needs to
change for different rows. How do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

my figures were just an example, too. what do you mean by "wasting" the
space? are you trying to write a program where space is super important? what
is your experience level? am I talking with a novice or a real expert (20
year user)? could you give a better example, or explain with lots more detail
the exact requirements?
--
big-bob