Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Save excel file with pipe separated

I would like to save file with "|" (pipe) separation. Normally i save file
with , (comma) separated. How can i save file with pipe separated ? if not
through normal excel even if it is possible with Macro's it is OK.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

if you want an easy way (and there are no too many columns then

CONCATENATE("A1","|","B1","|"....etc) will get everything into one cell.....
drag that down your entire spreadsheet

paste speacial values

delete the origional data and save that as a .csv

OR (From Microsoft Help:

Click the Windows Start menu.
Click Control Panel.
Open the Regional and Language Options dialog box.
Click the Regional Options Tab.
Click Customize.
Type a new separator in the List separator box.
Click OK twice.

HTH

Simon

Vijay Kotian wrote:
I would like to save file with "|" (pipe) separation. Normally i save file
with , (comma) separated. How can i save file with pipe separated ? if not
through normal excel even if it is possible with Macro's it is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson has code at his site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

Also see John McGimpsey's site.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 04:43:02 -0800, Vijay Kotian
wrote:

I would like to save file with "|" (pipe) separation. Normally i save file
with , (comma) separated. How can i save file with pipe separated ? if not
through normal excel even if it is possible with Macro's it is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jijay,

Get the Text Write Program from
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm. Type the pipe
character in the setup sheet. THere are other options you may be able to
use.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Vijay Kotian" wrote in message
I would like to save file with "|" (pipe) separation. Normally i save file
with , (comma) separated. How can i save file with pipe separated ? if
not
through normal excel even if it is possible with Macro's it is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Earl

Apologies for not including TextWrite in my response to the OP earlier.

I have it on my computer but just plain forgot.

Gord

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:02:25 -0500, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Jijay,

Get the Text Write Program from
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm. Type the pipe
character in the setup sheet. THere are other options you may be able to
use.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

No problem. That's the same thing I tell the IRS. "I forgot."
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com