Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Every time I do a sort, I have to tell Excel that I have a header

I have a spreadsheet that I access daily. Every time I do a sort, I have to
go in and manually check off the "header" button so that it won't include the
header in the sort. Is there some way I can make it default to that; at
least in this particular document? Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Apparently, the Header box is automatically checked when the first cell
in the highlighted range contains a border along the bottom edge.

Ideas for a work-around:
~ don't highlight the column header
~ record a macro that includes de-selecting the header, and run that
instead of manually sorting

Maybe? Some help, perhaps?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sally

Excel will usually behave if the header is formatted differently than the rest.

Bold it or center it or underline or somesuch.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:21:02 -0800, Sally M
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I access daily. Every time I do a sort, I have to
go in and manually check off the "header" button so that it won't include the
header in the sort. Is there some way I can make it default to that; at
least in this particular document? Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Every time I do a sort, I have to tell Excel that I have a hea

Thanks for your help. Upon further investigation, after a long process of
elimination, I discovered that the reason Excel stopped sorting the
spreadsheet properly was because I had added data to columns Y and Z without
putting a heading name in the header. This ended up confusing Excel. Once I
added names to my new columns, Excel once again behaved as it should. Thanks
again.
Sally

"Dave O" wrote:

Apparently, the Header box is automatically checked when the first cell
in the highlighted range contains a border along the bottom edge.

Ideas for a work-around:
~ don't highlight the column header
~ record a macro that includes de-selecting the header, and run that
instead of manually sorting

Maybe? Some help, perhaps?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,
Thanks for your willingness to help me once again (you helped me out a while
back, as well). Anyway, see my response to Dave O above to see what ended up
being the problem.
Sally

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I access daily. Every time I do a sort, I have to
go in and manually check off the "header" button so that it won't include the
header in the sort. Is there some way I can make it default to that; at
least in this particular document? Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting resolution.

Gord