Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Entering Data: is there a way to do this?

I have a worksheet that I will use to enter data for scores at a
competition.

The range of cells I'll enter the data in is C3-L3 x 30 rows (C3-C32 -
L3-L33)

It doesn't matter if I enter the data by column or row.

I would like the worksheet to behave as follows:

Ex: Entering data in columns, when I get to the bottom of a column (C32), I
like the cursor to go to the top of the next column (D2).

Ex: Entering data in rows, when I get to the end of a row (L3), I like the
cursor to go to the start of the next row (C4).

I know I can do this by selecting the range of cells, but this method is
somewhat troublesome when a mistake is made entering data: there's no way to
restart entering the data from the point the mistake was made except
reselecting the entire range again.

So my question is this: Is there a way to lock or protect the entire sheet
and unlock just the cells for the data thet will work in the way described
above?

I know I can lock cells to prevent data entry or change, but this does not
prevent or control cursor movement.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

James
Enter your data in rows.
If you start at, say A1, input your data and press TAB continue to do this
until you finish the row and then press ENTER. It should go back to B1, ready
to start again.

If not, go to TOOLS / OPTIONS / EDIT
and check the "move selection after enter" check box.
Make sure the drop down box has "Down" selected.

HTH
Michael M

"James E Middleton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there a way to lock or protect the entire sheet and unlock just the
cells for the data thet will work in the way described above?

Yes, you can do just that.

Select the entire sheet
Goto FormatCellsProtection tabselect LockedOK
Now, select the range of cells where you want to enter the data - C3:L33
Goto FormatCellsProtection tabunselect LockedOK
Now, set the sheet protection:
Goto ToolsProtectionProtect sheet
There will be several options depending on what version of Excel you are
using.
You want to select "Allow users to select unlocked cells" and unselect
"allow users to select locked cells".

Biff