Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Range Names

If when I go into the Insert, Name Define Dialog box
and see Certain range names with 2 columns of data;
that is, Col 1 the Name - Col 2 the Sheet Name...
What do I have? I didn't intend on having any Range Names
Specific to a sheet but I guess that is what I have.
Are there any Disadvantages to doing this?

Also in some of my SIngle-Col Range Names in the
RefersTo box I see the formula ='Cost Analysis'!$A$11 (say)
This of course is because I have spaces in the sheet name.

For some of those that have the SHeet Specific (2 Col)
In the Refers to box I see =PayShedule!$G$12. I
tried changing one to ='PaySchedule'!$G$12 and it
wouldn't accept it - it reverted back to =PayShedule!$G$12
after pressing the enter key.

Any comments that would educate me a bit more in this area would be
appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Jim May" wrote in message
If when I go into the Insert, Name Define Dialog box
and see Certain range names with 2 columns of data;
that is, Col 1 the Name - Col 2 the Sheet Name...
What do I have? I didn't intend on having any Range Names
Specific to a sheet but I guess that is what I have.
Are there any Disadvantages to doing this?

That is exactly what you have. Unless you specifically want sheet specific
names, I would remove them and set them up as global names as local names
can get very confusing.

Also in some of my SIngle-Col Range Names in the
RefersTo box I see the formula ='Cost Analysis'!$A$11 (say)
This of course is because I have spaces in the sheet name.

For some of those that have the SHeet Specific (2 Col)
In the Refers to box I see =PayShedule!$G$12. I
tried changing one to ='PaySchedule'!$G$12 and it
wouldn't accept it - it reverted back to =PayShedule!$G$12
after pressing the enter key.

What exactly is the question here? If a sheet has no spaces, it doesn't need
the quotes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , Bob Phillips
spake thusly:

"Jim May" wrote in message

If when I go into the Insert, Name Define Dialog box and see
Certain range names with 2 columns of data; that is, Col 1
the Name - Col 2 the Sheet Name... What do I have? I didn't
intend on having any Range Names Specific to a sheet but I
guess that is what I have. Are there any Disadvantages to
doing this?

That is exactly what you have. Unless you specifically want sheet
specific names, I would remove them and set them up as global
names as local names can get very confusing.

How does one do this? I'm confused, because I did set up some
global names, but when I save name Excel 2002 inserts the sheet
name. I don't see how to leave it off. Or is that something
else from what the discussion has been about?

Dallman Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob Thanks, I guess I'm saying that I DID NOT intentionally make these
several Range Names Specific or Local -- How can this occur (RN getting set
up locally)?
Is there a Formal way (Rule specific) for setting up Global Names? If so,
what are the rules? Dallman seems to also be having some problems;;,, hummmm

Apprecaite your help,
Jim