Wes

Default Range Names

I need to figure out how to automatically assign dynamic range names to
each "Saturday to Friday" in a list of monthly day numbers and associated
day names for an entire year.

A B
1 Sat
2 Sun
3 Mon
4 Tue
5........etc.
I don't know where to start.
Thanks,
Wes

Ron Coderre

I'm thinking that, whatever you're trying to do, there's got to be a better
way.

Could you just run a column of formulas next to the dates that indicate
which week the date is in? That way you could use lookups on your dates to
determine which week they belong to. That would also help you with filtering,
pivot tables, etc.

Does that help?

Ron
Wes

Thank you Ron for responding.

I am basically building a data base of daily sales, department totals, etc.
and want to do Year to Year comparisons with weekly grand totals. I want to
be able to compare "Week 1" of one year to "Week 1" of another year.

Back in the early 1990's I used to know my way around Lotus very well...but
now things have changed. :)

I was looking into WeekNum() for answers and also looking at naming formulas
to create ranges with Offset() but I am still testing and contemplating.

I guess I am basically just stuck on deciding, or knowing for that matter
which route would be the best and most efficient. I don't know if Match()
might be of help to me or not.

I'd like to be able to call a "Week" range, offset it to each individual
department and sum() the 7 days of that departments sales for the week.

I was also hoping to make it dynamic so that I could make one spreadsheet
for each year and only need to change the dates for a new year and it would
work wether Saturday fell on the first, the second or whatever.

I guess I have a lot to do but I just need some direction, some ideas. I do
not know what pivot tables are...yet. But I will look into them.

If you have any more suggestions I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wes