Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Validated cells and IF statements

Hi,

My manager has asked me to add some columns to our planning spreadsheet that
will allow us to easily see if another department is taking too long doing
its work. I need to create a fairly complicated IF formula, can anyone help?

Ive added four columns to the sheet, these are as follows:

A1: Where now?
Using the validation function Ive created a drop down box in this column
which has four options €śUs checking€ť, €śTo Art€ť, €śTo production€ť, €śBack from
production€ť.

A2: With whom
This simply lists the name of the person within the production department
who is working on the document.

A3: Deadline
This column is formatted as a date and shows the deadline by which the piece
of work should be returned to us.

A4: Late?
This is the column I want to format. If A3 is empty I want this cell to be
blank. If the deadline in A3 has passed this cell should display the word
€śLATE€ť. If the deadline has passed, BUT the drop down box in A1 is set to
€śBack from production€ť then this cell should display the word €śDONE€ť.

Can anyone tell me what this formula should be?

Thanks

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Karl
Try
=IF(A3="","",
IF(A3-TODAY()=0,"",
IF(AND(A3-TODAY()<0,A1="Back from Production"),"Done","Late")))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Karl" wrote in message

My manager has asked me to add some columns to our planning
spreadsheet that
will allow us to easily see if another department is taking too long
doing
its work. I need to create a fairly complicated IF formula, can anyone
help?

I've added four columns to the sheet, these are as follows:

A1: Where now?
Using the validation function I've created a drop down box in this
column
which has four options "Us checking", "To Art", "To production", "Back
from
production".

A2: With whom
This simply lists the name of the person within the production
department
who is working on the document.

A3: Deadline
This column is formatted as a date and shows the deadline by which the
piece
of work should be returned to us.

A4: Late?
This is the column I want to format. If A3 is empty I want this cell
to be
blank. If the deadline in A3 has passed this cell should display the
word
"LATE". If the deadline has passed, BUT the drop down box in A1 is set
"Back from production" then this cell should display the word "DONE".

Can anyone tell me what this formula should be?

Thanks

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you.

It works, except that when you choose "Back from production" from the drop
down box in A1 "LATE" doesn't change to "DOE".

Are IF STATEMENTS just incapable of recognising the contents of validated
cells?

Thanks

Karl

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Karl
Works fine for me.
Are your sure the wording is the same in the dropdown box as the formula
"Back from Production"

--
Regards

Roger Govier

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not so, Bob.
Not using EXACT within the formula nor FIND.

--
Regards

Roger Govier