Diane Alsing

Default Calculating Cells - Slower in Smaller File

I have a very large spreadsheet (FILE1.XLS). It has 20 or so tabs, a
hundreds of links to external data, charts, etc. It's approximately 63MB.
Upon opening, updating, calculating & saving was a little time consuming
(took about 3 minutes or so). Doesn't sound too bad, but I have hundreds of
similar files, so ... updating takes looooong. So I decided to shrink the
file. I deleted 1/2 of the tabs of external data links & charts that I
deemed to be unnecessary, and decided to save it (FILE2.XLS). Now, although
FILE2.XLS is now 52MB, it takes TWICE as long to open, update, calculate &
save. There are no missing links or anything like that. I was wondering if
anyone might have a clue as to what's going on. When I open FILE1.XLS it
starts to calculate cells instataneously & opens, no problems. When I open
FILE2.XLS, it takes 2 or three minutes to start the calculate cells. It sort
of "hangs up" as if it's looking for those deleted tabs & charts. Any ideas
on this crazy problem?

Thank you.
Regards,
Diane