Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do i use LOTUS combine facility in Excel

in LOTUS 123 i use the 'combine' facility which works very well - how can i
replicate this in excel

thanks

rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Otto

Thanks for your reply Otto.

The Lotus combine facility allows you to grab whole chunks of other
spreadsheets and combine them with the one you are working on. This is a
particularly useful feature as it not only brings back 'actual' values, but
also performs calculations
and brings in formulae.

We have tried a number of functions including CONCATENATE (which is very
useful for combining two or more columns (say of text) into one (eg useful
application is combining first name/last name columns into one).

This is a particularly complex area of functionality which LOTUS performed
really well, but which we can't replicate easily in Excel. We know we can use
MACROs but they aren't as elegant, and take a lot more looking after than the
LOTUS feature.

Kind regards

Rob

"seawardr" wrote in message
in LOTUS 123 i use the 'combine' facility which works very well - how can
replicate this in excel

thanks

rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rob
I'm not familiar with anything built-in to Excel to combine ranges in
two or more sheets into one sheet. You can, of course, do it manually
(copy/paste). If this is something that you do repeatedly, I would say to
use VBA. That's macros to you. I don't know what you mean when you say
macros require a lot of looking after. Once you write the macro code so
that it does what you want, there is no "looking after".
Perhaps if you provided a bit more detail about the layout of your data
and the variables that you have (columns/rows are not fixed, number of
sheets not fixed, etc) and exactly what you want to do, I'm sure you will
get a lot of help in these newsgroups. HTH Otto