Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locked Formatting

I have "inherited" a spreadsheet that has borders in some of the cells to
simulate a form. The problem I am having is in the cells that abut a border I
cannot change the cell's format. The cells that do not abut a border can be
changed. Is there some "switch" or option somewhere that can be "flipped"
that will allow the changing of these cells' format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, it's not protected. Sorry, that would have been a useful piece of info to
include in the original post! As a matter of fact, the only cells I cannot
alter are the cells that abut the borders, the only thing I cannot change is
the formatting. I can delete them, change the contents, do anything I want or
need to do, except change the format!

So you may ask, what's the issue? This is a multiple sheet workbook that
needs to be updated annually (for the annual budget cycle). If you cut / copy
/ paste and you mess up the formatting, you can't fix it!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Is the worksheet protected?
--
David Biddulph

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have "inherited" a spreadsheet that has borders in some of the cells to
simulate a form. The problem I am having is in the cells that abut a
border I
cannot change the cell's format. The cells that do not abut a border can
be
changed. Is there some "switch" or option somewhere that can be "flipped"
that will allow the changing of these cells' format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

is there a conditional format being applied? (this overrides some other
formatting)

"SteveB" wrote:

No, it's not protected. Sorry, that would have been a useful piece of info to
include in the original post! As a matter of fact, the only cells I cannot
alter are the cells that abut the borders, the only thing I cannot change is
the formatting. I can delete them, change the contents, do anything I want or
need to do, except change the format!

So you may ask, what's the issue? This is a multiple sheet workbook that
needs to be updated annually (for the annual budget cycle). If you cut / copy
/ paste and you mess up the formatting, you can't fix it!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Is the worksheet protected?
--
David Biddulph

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have "inherited" a spreadsheet that has borders in some of the cells to
simulate a form. The problem I am having is in the cells that abut a
border I
cannot change the cell's format. The cells that do not abut a border can
be
changed. Is there some "switch" or option somewhere that can be "flipped"
that will allow the changing of these cells' format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dan Dan is offline

I have inherited similar worksheets in the past.

In my case there was a picture object placed behind the cell. Is it
definitely not an object of some sort rather than just cell formatting?

Kind regards,

Dan

"SteveB" wrote:

No, it's not protected. Sorry, that would have been a useful piece of info to
include in the original post! As a matter of fact, the only cells I cannot
alter are the cells that abut the borders, the only thing I cannot change is
the formatting. I can delete them, change the contents, do anything I want or
need to do, except change the format!

So you may ask, what's the issue? This is a multiple sheet workbook that
needs to be updated annually (for the annual budget cycle). If you cut / copy
/ paste and you mess up the formatting, you can't fix it!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Is the worksheet protected?
--
David Biddulph

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have "inherited" a spreadsheet that has borders in some of the cells to
simulate a form. The problem I am having is in the cells that abut a
border I
cannot change the cell's format. The cells that do not abut a border can
be
changed. Is there some "switch" or option somewhere that can be "flipped"
that will allow the changing of these cells' format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can find no evidence of a picture object, but I might not know
exactly where and how to look!

Nor can I find any conditional formating. And since the formating
doesn't change when I make changes to the cell, I doubt that is it.

One thing I have discovered. If I select the entire worksheet I can
turn off all of the borders, then I can alter each cell as you would
expect to be able to do. I really don't want to have to clear the
formatting and start over but that's beginning to look like my only
option. The workbook has 24 individual sheets, each formatted
differently!

"SteveB" wrote:

No, it's not protected. Sorry, that would have been a useful piece of info to
include in the original post! As a matter of fact, the only cells I cannot
alter are the cells that abut the borders, the only thing I cannot change is
the formatting. I can delete them, change the contents, do anything I want or
need to do, except change the format!

So you may ask, what's the issue? This is a multiple sheet workbook that
needs to be updated annually (for the annual budget cycle). If you cut / copy
/ paste and you mess up the formatting, you can't fix it!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Is the worksheet protected?
--
David Biddulph