Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Summing formula

Can someone help me please?

I know pivots tables will provide this information but they are to memory
intensive.

I want to be able sum the figures in a column if another column meets a text
value in that same row.

Orange, 2
Lemon, 4
Apple, 7
Peach, 3
Orange, 5

So I get a SUM result for Oranges as 7

Thanks

--
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark,

Try using =SUMIF

The syntax is =SUMIF(Range to find the criteria, the criteria, range to
find the quantity)

In your case this might be =SUMIF(A1:A4,"Orange",B1:B4)

Note the quotes arange the criteria

Hope this helps,

regards

Phil
Mark wrote:

Can someone help me please?

I know pivots tables will provide this information but they are to memory
intensive.

I want to be able sum the figures in a column if another column meets a text
value in that same row.

Orange, 2
Lemon, 4
Apple, 7
Peach, 3
Orange, 5

So I get a SUM result for Oranges as 7

Thanks

--
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mark,
In column A, starting with A4:
Orange, Lemon, Apple, Peach, Orange
In column B, starting with B4:
2, 4, 7, 3, 5
In column C, starting with C4:
"=Vlookup(A5,A4:B9,2,True)" without ""
This will total 7 Oranges in the first cell.
HTH