Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Notepad to excel

What is the cleanest way to do this? Also, if there is more data than can be
stored in excel, how do I seperate it to make sure I get all the data. These
files are in Winzip. I thought about pulling them into Access but I really
have not used Winzip much at all....
--
Thomas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How to import more than 65536 rows into Excel.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:11:02 -0700, T Miller
wrote:

What is the cleanest way to do this? Also, if there is more data than can be
stored in excel, how do I seperate it to make sure I get all the data. These
files are in Winzip. I thought about pulling them into Access but I really
have not used Winzip much at all....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I assume you are talking about a text/csv file. If so you can use the import
text wizard. If the file has more rows than Excel can handle it will not
import the full file. I think I recall seeing there is some VBA code that
can break the import into two sheets, unfortunately I don't know where and I
am by no means versed in VBA. I have imported many text files into Access
and it is pretty easy. My suggestion would be to import it into Access if it
is too big to fit into Excel. From there you can do simple queries to
extract the data you want into Excel or link to the Access database through a
query in Excel and bring the data into a pivot table for analysis. Any
question on Access would be better posted in the Access group.

Hope this works for you

"T Miller" wrote:

What is the cleanest way to do this? Also, if there is more data than can be
stored in excel, how do I seperate it to make sure I get all the data. These
files are in Winzip. I thought about pulling them into Access but I really
have not used Winzip much at all....
--
Thomas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mark,

Agreed, access is the best way to go, my problem there is from the notepad
to access the data is not clean and does not import all that well. I am
trying to find out what the best thing to use to clean the data from notepad.
This is going to make me pull my hair out, lol.
--
Thomas