Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening Excel Files from Outlook

Whenever I open an Excel file from Outlook 2003 the name of the file changes.
For example if I'm opening a file with the name test.xls once it opens in
Excel is changes the name to test(#).xls. The # number is different on each
file.

Is there a way to fix this. This is also happening to my PowerPoint files
as well.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there a way to clear those temporary files? I normally open all files
directly from Outlook and it never changed the name of the file. Where are
those files stored and how can I clean out that location?

Thanks for the quick response!

"Marilyn" wrote:

Whenever I open an Excel file from Outlook 2003 the name of the file changes.
For example if I'm opening a file with the name test.xls once it opens in
Excel is changes the name to test(#).xls. The # number is different on each
file.

Is there a way to fix this. This is also happening to my PowerPoint files
as well.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a way out for this... This is stored unfortunately in a hidden
system folder. When you open one of these files, go to menu --
File--Properties-- General tab. This gives the document information
including the name and the location. Highlight on the location and do a
ctrl+c to copy the location and paste the same in the address bar of the
windows explorer and hit enter.
The location will look something like == "C:\Documents and
Settings\admin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK1F6"

this will take you directly to the location where these files are stored.
if it does not go there on the windows exlporer, go to the menu Tools --
Folder options -- select the dot for "show hidden files or folders"

This folder will contain all the files which have been opened through
outlook. Normally when you close the mail these attachments are deleted.
However if you close the mail without closing the attachment, it does not
delete it. then the next time you open the attachment again, it assigns a
number to it as a file with the same name is already present. You can safely
delete all these files.

Trust this meets your requirements. Do post a response if it worked for you.

Manoj