Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default PLEASE allow more than 256 columns in Excel!

The 256-column limitation is extremely frustrating! I have to do headstands
to work around this. Why on earth would you limit to 256 columns? Just
because you want to store the column number as a byte? C'mon, this is 2007,
we have 64-bit processors now, bytes and 256 are ancient concepts!

-Paul

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, it's not quite 2007, but Excel 2007 is available as a beta at the
moment - full release in the first quarter of 2007 I believe.

This version increases both the number of columns (to 16k) and the
number of rows (to 1 million), so you should be able to work within
those limitations.

Pete

apdil wrote:
The 256-column limitation is extremely frustrating! I have to do headstands
to work around this. Why on earth would you limit to 256 columns? Just
because you want to store the column number as a byte? C'mon, this is 2007,
we have 64-bit processors now, bytes and 256 are ancient concepts!

-Paul

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Paul,

Office 2007 BETA is now avaliable from microsoft which has over 1,000,000
rows and over 16,000 columns

apdil wrote:
The 256-column limitation is extremely frustrating! I have to do headstands
to work around this. Why on earth would you limit to 256 columns? Just
because you want to store the column number as a byte? C'mon, this is 2007,
we have 64-bit processors now, bytes and 256 are ancient concepts!

-Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

However

Be careful what you ask for... Excel is a spreadsheet analysis tool, Access,
or SQL are databases... put a single 1 in each cell in the new grid in 2007
and the whole thing grinds to a halt! If you put a SUMIF, VLOOKUP or
anything similar in a small proportion of the extra rows and go of and have
a cup of tea... nothing wrong with Excel per se, just sometimes there is a
better tool and generally if you are fighting the tool, you have the wrong
one.

As I say, be careful what you wish for.....

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS