Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Maximum Items in Excel Lists?

I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A data validation (drop-down) list can have thousands of items. Exactly
what are you doing (step by step) to create this Data Validation cell? HTH
Otto
"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Matt

Where is this drop down from? I know of no limit so small

Forms toolbox
Control toolbox
Data validation
Autofilter

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto,

On Sheet 2, I have a column "Category List" with 30 items. On Sheet 1, I
have a column labeled "Category" and went to the cells under it and clicked
Data/Validation/Allow Lists and under Source put "=Category". The drop down
button appears and a list appears but it only scrolls down through the first
14 items.

Matt

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

A data validation (drop-down) list can have thousands of items. Exactly
what are you doing (step by step) to create this Data Validation cell? HTH
Otto
"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Matt

Better to name the range rather than rely on a label or type in a A1
notation address in the source box

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

A data validation (drop-down) list can have thousands of items. Exactly
what are you doing (step by step) to create this Data Validation cell?
HTH
Otto
"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that
the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have it in a regular cell dropdown. The list is on sheet 2 and the drop
down is on sheet one. I am doing a real basic list for budgeting purposes.
I went to data/validation/allow lists/and put =category in the source section.

Matt

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Matt

Where is this drop down from? I know of no limit so small

Forms toolbox
Control toolbox
Data validation
Autofilter

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nick,

How do I name the range? Would it be possible to email you the spreadsheet
I am talking about?

Matt

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

A data validation (drop-down) list can have thousands of items. Exactly
what are you doing (step by step) to create this Data Validation cell?
HTH
Otto
"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that
the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the entire list of categories on the sheet, don't include the label at
the top of the list, then Use
Insert | Name | Define
and type in a name for the range like myCategoryList
It should show the cells selected in the area at the bottom of the dialog.
Click the OK button.

Now in your data validated cells use
=myCategoryList
as the Source for the list. Excel should also offer to make the same to all
of the adjoining cells with the same validation setup as the one you've
selected. Accept that kind, labor saving offer.