Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Type Power Exponent

I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to the power of 2 as in
mm squared. I thought I could insert it as a symbol?

I am using Excel 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter:

Area (mm)2

in any cell; then, in the formula bar, select on the two and pull down:

Format Cells... and check Superscript
--
Gary's Student

"psm57716" wrote:

I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to the power of 2 as in
mm squared. I thought I could insert it as a symbol?

I am using Excel 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Gary''s!
You wrote on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:13:01 -0700:

Gs Area (mm)2

Gs in any cell; then, in the formula bar, select on the two
Gs and pull down:

Format Cells... and check Superscript
Gs --
Gs Gary's Student

Gs "psm57716" wrote:

?? I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to
?? the power of 2 as in mm squared. I thought I could insert

Sorry, I'm puzzled! Why use the parentheses when normal
scientific convention would just use a superscript 2? It's
another little problem like that from the guy who wanted to
wrote CO superscript 2.....darned if I can think why!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi James:

You are correct. The use of the () adds nothing of value. This would not
be the case if the units were meters/second; in this case the () could be
used to indicate if the distance or the time or the velocity is to be squared.
--
Gary's Student

Gs "psm57716" wrote:

?? I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to
?? the power of 2 as in mm squared. I thought I could insert

Sorry, I'm puzzled! Why use the parentheses when normal
scientific convention would just use a superscript 2? It's
another little problem like that from the guy who wanted to
wrote CO superscript 2.....darned if I can think why!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think he wanted: Area (mm2)
with the units in parentheses which is quite acceptable.
However chemists prefer: Area /mm2 for some odd reason!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

Gs "psm57716" wrote:

?? I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to
?? the power of 2 as in mm squared. I thought I could insert

Sorry, I'm puzzled! Why use the parentheses when normal scientific
convention would just use a superscript 2? It's another little problem
like that from the guy who wanted to wrote CO superscript 2.....darned if
I can think why!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Bernard!
You wrote on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:04:15 -0300:

BL I think he wanted: Area (mm2)
BL with the units in parentheses which is quite acceptable.
BL However chemists prefer: Area /mm2 for some odd reason!
BL --

Strange! I'm a chemist and I'd never dream of using anything but
mm super2 for area in mm. I suppose one might use (meter/sec)
super2 to refer to the whole expression squared but I'd have
been more likely to use m super2 sec sub-2 if I could think of
any reason for the unit!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, James!
You wrote to Bernard Liengme on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:29:36 -0400:

BL I think he wanted: Area (mm2)
BL with the units in parentheses which is quite acceptable.
BL However chemists prefer: Area /mm2 for some odd reason!
BL --

JS Strange! I'm a chemist and I'd never dream of using
JS anything but mm super2 for area in mm. I suppose one might
JS use (meter/sec) super2 to refer to the whole expression
JS squared but I'd have been more likely to use m super2 sec
JS sub-2 if I could think of any reason for the unit!

Just ruminating on units :-) If I had an accelleration whose
units were meters per second squared I would probably write m
sec sub-2 tho' I think I might catch myself using m/sec super 2
..

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, James!
You wrote to James Silverton on Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:38:16 -0400:

BL I think he wanted: Area (mm2)
BL with the units in parentheses which is quite acceptable.
BL However chemists prefer: Area /mm2 for some odd reason!
BL --

JS Strange! I'm a chemist and I'd never dream of using
JS anything but mm super2 for area in mm. I suppose one might
JS use (meter/sec) super2 to refer to the whole expression
JS squared but I'd have been more likely to use m super2 sec
JS sub-2 if I could think of any reason for the unit!

JS Just ruminating on units :-) If I had an acceleration
JS whose units were meters per second squared I would probably
JS write m sec sub-2 tho' I think I might catch myself using
JS m/sec super 2 .

Gosh, it's easy to make mistakes when not using HTML for WYSIWYG
:-) That should read "...probably write m sec super -2".

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type in Area(mm) then ALT + 0178 on the numpad and hit ENTER key.

ALT + 0179 for cubed

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:07:02 -0700, psm57716
wrote:

I want to type in "Area (mm)" as text and have the mm to the power of 2 as in
mm squared. I thought I could insert it as a symbol?

I am using Excel 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In addition to all the other response you have received you could
FormatCellsNumberCustom #0.0 "Area mm˛"

Use whatever Numeric format you want in place of #0.0 and within the
quotes type Area mm Alt+0178

Then, just enter your formula or your value into the formatted cell.

This has the advantage that any values entered can be utilised in
further calculations.
--
Regards

Roger Govier