Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default why does this formula return a #VALUE! error

Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The two ranges are not the same size
E103:P114 is 12 by 12 while E98 by P98 is 12 by 1
Tell us more about the project's data layout
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave F" wrote in message
Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater
than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I figured out the problem here. Some cells in the first column on
the range E103:P114 are blank. Entering 0 in those blank cells eliminated
the error.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" wrote in message
Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater
than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Turns out that the issue is some of the cells in the left-most column of the
range E103:P114 were blank; changing these blank cells to 0 eliminated the
problem.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" wrote in message
Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater

than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Non-numeric, yes. Blanks, to be specific. See my responses to Bob and
Bernard. Thanks for the help.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Dave F wrote:

Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave, assuming I have blank and text in the range the sumproduct formula is
pulling from, and that I can't change the ranges, is there anyway to avoid
the associated error by modifying the sumproduct formula? Thanks. Steve C

Dave F wrote:

Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree with Bob, I couldn't duplicate your problem.

BUT ... now we can get into XL semantics ... where I have a disagreement
with Harlan.

What do *you* mean by "blank"
That is, as opposed to "empty".

Do you have formulas that equate to zero length strings ( "" or nulls)?
That *to me* is "blank".
OR
Do the cells contain *nothing* ... truly virgin?
That to me is *empty*.

I couldn't duplicate your problem with *EMPTY* cells within E103:P114.
Your original formula worked perfectly.

However, when I entered zero length strings ( "" ), your formula returned
the #VALUE! error.

If you have formulas that equate to zero length strings ( "" or nulls)
within the data range, and you might wish to keep those cells *blank* in
appearance, as opposed to displaying 0's, you might try this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((E98:P98="Project")*(E103:P114<""),E1 03:P114)

--

HTH,

RD

"Dave F" wrote in message
Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater

than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See RagDyer's response. Blank cells do not cause a problem, but spaces or
cells with zero-length strings do. You can circumvent with

=SUMPRODUCT((N(E103:P314))*(E98:P98="Project"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Dave F wrote:

Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater

than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rag--re semantics: as far as I can tell the cells were zero length strings,
which, to me, seems empty. The workbook was inherited from someone else and
perhaps these cells originally contained something.

I have no idea.

But as I say, inserting 0 into these blank/empty/null/whatever cells
eliminated the problem.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Dave F" wrote in message
Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values greater

than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BTW, I couldn't get the suggestion that you made to work, on the basis that
the numbers returned the #VALUE, so trying to outsort it in a condition made
no difference. Will re-try that also.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Dave F wrote:

Formula is: =SUMPRODUCT((E103:P114)*(E98:P98="Project"))

Should return 0. But I also get the error if there are values
greater

than
zero in the range which meet the criteria.

Thanks, Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

00:08am. That means that you are on the West Coast?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyer" wrote in message
I can't seem to get that to work Bob!

RD

-
-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
-