Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default FIND AND SORT DUPLICATE TEXT

I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A (ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip073.htm

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"HERNAN" escreveu:

I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A (ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In C3
=COUNTIF($B$1:$B$1000,A1)0
Copy down

will return TRUE in column C on the row where duplicate data exists in
column A
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"HERNAN" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A
(ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, but is not working since what I need is to find duplicate TEXTS
not numbers, so using this formula the result is allways FALSE.
Any other idea please???
Thank you anyway.

"HERNAN" wrote in message
I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A
(ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After I locate the duplicate how do I sort them?? I want to delete them. And
I have more than 4,000 names?
Thank you!! Obrigado!

"HERNAN" escreveu:

I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A (ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Marcelo, but I can't use the Conditional Formatting.
Maybe is because in each cell I have first and last name??
This is my example:

A B
1 John Smith Mary Kim
2 Peter Johnson John Smith

What should I do in "C" to identify the duplicates in A
Please I really need help with this!!!!

"HERNAN" escreveu:

I have 2 columns with text

A B
1 John Kim Susan Douglas
2 Susan Douglas Mary Barry
3 Martin Smith Mike Miguens

I want to locate and be able to sort the duplicates cells in column A (ie:
A2 ) so I can delete them later.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you try it?
It has nothing to do with whether the comparison is Text or Numeric.

With your sample data, I return FALSE, TRUE, FALSE

If you are not seeing that result, then maybe there are extra spaces in
one of your columns of data.
David McRitchie has some code for cleaning up data on his site

Regards

Roger Govier