Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Way to link two colums to update another?

Here's my scenario: I have a worksheet with two columns, User ID and
Soc. Number, and I have another worksheet with just User ID's (however
not all of the User ID's are present from the first worksheet and some
are present multiple times). I need to replace the User ID's in this
second sheet with the corresponding Soc. Number from the first sheet.

I can't seem to figure out a way to do it programatically, and so far
have had to do it manually by copy/psating an flipping between the two
sheets. If anyone could shed some light on a solution it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks!
Dominic

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:A4,2,FALSE)
should be
=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B4,2,FALSE)
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

" wrote:

Gary L Brown wrote:
Sounds like the vLookup function is what you're looking for. Check it out in
'Help'.
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion... I'm at least pointed in the right
direction now... however I set up a small test of the vLookup function
and it doesn't seem to want to work in my case. It returns a #REF! as
if there is no data in column 2.

Here's the breakdown of my test:

I have three columns, A, B, and C
Column A contains 5 four-digit ID Numbers (4561, 4980, 9823, 2211)
Column B contains the corresponding Soc. Number (123456789, 435856776,
etc.)
Column C contains ID numbers as well but not all of the ones from
column A, and some repeat (4980, 4980, 2211, 2211, 2211)

What I need to do is place the values in column D with the correct Soc.
Number. that matches column C

My vLookup formula in D1 looks like this: =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:A4,2,FALSE)
But it returns #REF!

Why?!?

To me this formula is correct in that it is saying to match the value
in C1 to one of the values in column A and return the corresponding
soc. number from column 2 (B).

As always, any help is appreciated.
- Dominic