Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I import data from excel to do a mail merge in word?

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This site will show how to use multiple types of data sources for your
labels, with Excel being one of them:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm
--
Kevin Backmann

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This Excel workbook may add to what Microsoft has to say - it shows the
process with pictures and discussion in it:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/Teach/Wor...DataSource.xls

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I went to this website, and the process is different from what I'm dealing
with. It prompts me to "Select Table" two times, and then tells me that word
cannot open the data source. Can you tell me how to get word to open the
data source (excel file) for mailing labels?

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mary

For help on Word mail merge using Excel or Access as the data source.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

None of these sources tell me how to get word to open the source. I have the
excel files set up exactly like the examples and yet it still cannot open it.
What could be the problem?

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure why you cannot open the source. Let's start with the basics.
What versions of Excel and Word (or Office in general) are you using. The
instructions at my site were written while actually going thru the process
using Excel 2003 and Word 2003. The individual I was assisting at another
site was able to take them and successfully create a mail merge in Word 2003
using data in Excel 2003.

You might be selecting the wrong area in the Excel workbook? You said that
it had prompted you twice for the source? That sounds possibly as if you've
chosen the wrong sheet or table in the workbook?

Also, what to you mean by "..to get Word to open the source." ? The Excel
file doesn't actually open when you are doing the mail merge. Not as you
think of Excel normally being open. The fields will (should) be listed as
merge fields when you choose Insert Merge Fields. See rows 146 through 182
in the Excel file I linked to in my other posting.

The paper provided by Beth Melton (3rd link in Gord's post) seems an
excellent one. One suggestion it makes when it appears Excel will not open
or gives you an indication that a DDE connection cannot be established (by
Word to Excel), that you should open Excel normally and
'In Excel, go to Tools/Options/General and turn off €śIgnore other
Applications€ť.'

Have you tried that yet?

"Diane" wrote:

My husband has an excel spreadsheet that he is wanting to merge into Word to
make labels. I used to know how to do this but I have forgotten. Can anyone
help me?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mary

Do you get any message when you try to open the source?

Have you got an Excel driver listed in your Data Sources(ODBC) in Control Panel?

Should be there but maybe you have to add it.

Gord