Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening xls file

When I double click on an Excel file from anywhere on the PC through Windows
explorer, Excel opens but the file does not open, but if I open Excel, then
do File open and locate the file, the spreadsheet does open without any
problems.
Version is Excel 2003

Operating System is Win2k

The user would really like to be able to double click on the xls file
through Explorer and have Excel fire up and open the spreadsheet. Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this method - offered up by Gord Dibben in another discussion on similar
topic:

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.