Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can Excel allow data entry and calculate in the same cell?

I want a column to allow me enter numerical data and then - within the same
cell - have it calculate a sum (the number just entered in the cell plus a
number entered in a different column). Is that possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you're asking if Excel can do circular references. See here for
some info:
http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...eferences.html

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"TXlibrarian" wrote:

I want a column to allow me enter numerical data and then - within the same
cell - have it calculate a sum (the number just entered in the cell plus a
number entered in a different column). Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the tip, Dave, but I already tried adjusting the iteration. The
problem is that, even though iteration is set to "1", entering data into the
cell overwrites the formula. Maybe I need to do a function? If so, I have
no idea where to begin. I want to be able to enter new data in a cell
without erasing the formula. Any other ideas?

Marco

- - - - - - -

"TXlibrarian" wrote:

I want a column to allow me enter numerical data and then - within the same
cell - have it calculate a sum (the number just entered in the cell plus a
number entered in a different column). Is that possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sure you want to do this?

Think about it after reading the following.

You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a
separate source cell for adding a new total to the original.

Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can
be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to
have another column so you can keep track of past entries.

Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4",C4+D4,D4)

Enter this in cell D4 and then in ToolsOptionsCalculation check
Iterations and set to 1.

Now when you change the number in C4, D4 will accumulate.

Note 1. If C4 is selected and a calculation takes place anywhere in
the Application D4 will update even if no new number is entered in
C4. NOT GOOD.

Note 2. This operation is not recommended because you will have no
"paper trail" to follow. Any mistake in entering a new number in C4
cannot be corrected. NOT GOOD.

To clear out the accumulated total in D4 and start over, select D4
and EditEnter.

Check out Laurent Longre's MoreFunc.xla. Has a Function RECALL
which does what you want without the re-calculation problem, but
again there is no "paper trail" for back-checking in case of errors
in data input.

http://longre.free.fr/english/func_cats.htm

Also see John McGimpsey's site for VBA method.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:32:01 -0700, TXlibrarian
wrote:

I want a column to allow me enter numerical data and then - within the same
cell - have it calculate a sum (the number just entered in the cell plus a
number entered in a different column). Is that possible?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP