Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default shortcut for paste special?

hi, trying to find shortcut for paste special, prefer to have preset choice
such as
past-special-formatting (have many single-cell pasting to do)

not good at macro's yet, so if need / have script lines (so I don't fat
thumb it) & can paste in with macro have.. thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you could use some icons on your toolbar.
My suggestion is to create a new toolbar and put all the different paste
options in it.
Here's how...
---------------------------
CREATE A NEW TOOLBAR...
Right-click on any of the icons on the toolbars at the top of the worksheet.
A menu will appear with 'Customize...' at the bottom.
Select 'Customize...'.
Select the 'Toolbars' tab.
Select the 'New' button.
A TextBox will appear saying 'Custom 1'. It is asking you for a new name
for the toolbar. Let's call it 'PasteMenu', so type 'PasteMenu' where it
says 'Custom 1'. Don't type the quotation marks :O.
Now select 'OK'.
A toolbar with nothing in it will appear somewhere toward the middle of your
screen.
---------------------------
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.
What we want to do is put all those 'paste' icons on the 'PasteMenu' toolbar.

Highlight and hold down the left-mouse-button over the word 'Paste'. Drag
the 'Paste' icon over to the 'PasteMenu' toolbar. Release the mouse so that
the icon 'drops' onto the toolbar.
Repeat for 'Paste Special...'

Scroll down a bit and you will see other 'paste' options.

Repeat the above dragging instructions for 'Paste as Hyperlink'
Repeat the above dragging instructions for 'Paste formatting'
Repeat the above dragging instructions for 'Paste Values'

Select the 'Close' button on the 'Customize' window to close it.
---------------------------
PUT THE 'PASTEMENU' TOOLBAR UP WITH THE REST OF THE TOOLBARS...
Put your cursor over the word 'PasteMenu' on the 'PasteMenu' toolbar.
Hold down the left-mouse-button and drag the toolbar up to the top menus to
a place that is convenient for you.
---------------------------

At this point, I would close out of Excel to give Excel the opportunity to
remember where and what your new menu is.
Re-open Excel and your menu should be exactly where you put it and ready to
go!

If, at a later date, you find you don't like the toolbar, open the
'Customize' toolbar as indicated above. Select the 'Toolbars' tab.
Highlight 'PasteMenu' and select 'Delete'. This will totally delete the
toolbar. If you just want it to not show, unclick the checkbox next to
'PasteMenu'. Now it is still available for a later time but is not visible.

HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

"nastech" wrote:

hi, trying to find shortcut for paste special, prefer to have preset choice
such as
past-special-formatting (have many single-cell pasting to do)

not good at macro's yet, so if need / have script lines (so I don't fat
thumb it) & can paste in with macro have.. thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I could not locate the Repeat (Ctrl+Y) command in the 'Edit' section.

Excel's Help does not explain how this command can be added to Excel's
Toolbar.

Do you have any suggestions?

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Heidi

CTRL + Y is "Redo" in the list in the "Edit" category.

Drag it up to your Toolbar.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default shortcut for REPEAT (not Redo)?

Unfortunately, there is a subtle (but important) difference between Repeat
(Ctrl+Y) and Redo.

Example:

Mark a cell and apply a format. Notice that Redo button is remains dormant.
Select Edit from the menu. Notice that Repeat (Ctrl+Y) operation is
available with the format operation activated (Repeat Format Cells).

Do your have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Heidi

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the correction Heidi.

I had obviously not picked up on the(actually, not so subtle)difference.

I don't think there is a Repeat icon. I can not find one in any category.

Gord

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for taking the time to verify that I didn't miss something obvious.

I think I might begin a new thread with this specific challenge rather than
piggyback onto the Paste Special question posed in the original posting.

Do you think this is the appropriate forum for this question?

If not, where do you think I should post it?

Thanks again,

Heidi

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might try in excel.programming

You might get a quick and easy macro you could stick on a button.

Gord

"Gary L Brown" wrote:
PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it's the "button" image (icon) you want, r-click the Toolbar area,
Customize, Commands, Rearrange commands, set Menu Bar to "Edit", Select
"Repeat Format Cells", click Modify Selection, pick "Copy Button Image"

You may now "Paste" it on another button that is on the Toolbar by
closing Rearrange commands and Rclicking on the other Button and picking
"Paste Button image".

"Gary L Brown" wrote:

PUT 'PASTE' ICONS ON THE TOOLBAR...
The 'Customize' window is still open.
Select the 'Commands' tab.
Select the 'Edit' category in the 'Categories:' listbox.
On the 'Commands:' side of the Customize window, you'll see a listbox that
has Undo / Redo / Cut / Copy / Paste / Paste Special... / etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I add the REPEAT (not Redo) command to Excel's toolbar?

Unfortunately, the icon is not the problem.

What I need is a method to add the REPEAT _command_ (Ctrl+Y) to the toolbar.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

"Bob I" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Heidi,

Back again! This problem intrigued me somewhat and I think I know the
solution.

Right click the tool bar and select Customise. Then click Edit on your Menu
bar and whilst holding down the Ctrl button, click on the "Repeat format
cells" or "Can't repeat" command and drag it to the tool bar. And there you
have it!!

Good luck.

Rob

"Bob I" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bingo!

Thanks, Rob, for the big boost in my productivity.

Why has Microsoft neglected to add this command to the Edit category in the
toolbar customize menu???

Heidi

P.S. You're suggestion of the F4 key, by the way, wouldn't have helped very
much because I normally use a tablet PC (sans keyboard).

"Bob I" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, not only did Rob solve my immediate problem, he taught me a whole new
way to customize the toolbar.

I still wonder why Microsoft has omitted this command in the Edit category