Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with formula

=OR($F$1=5,$O$1=5000)The problem with this formula working is the formula in
cell F1 is being read as text (I think) and I need it to read as numerac.
Example: The cells that I need are selected and conditional formatted to
change to red if these criteria are met. If a 5 is in cell F1 or 5000 in cell
O1, The O1 cell works fine because it is a mumeric value but cell F1 has
=DATEDIF(A40,TODAY(),"M")&" months " which renders it not working. Any
suggestion as to reading F1 as a numeric value without changing this formula
in cell F1. Thanks in Advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Richard,

you could try this variation in your CF formula:

=OR(LEFT($F$1,1)="5",$O$1=5000)

Hope this helps.

Pete

Richard wrote:
=OR($F$1=5,$O$1=5000)The problem with this formula working is the formula in
cell F1 is being read as text (I think) and I need it to read as numerac.
Example: The cells that I need are selected and conditional formatted to
change to red if these criteria are met. If a 5 is in cell F1 or 5000 in cell
O1, The O1 cell works fine because it is a mumeric value but cell F1 has
=DATEDIF(A40,TODAY(),"M")&" months " which renders it not working. Any
suggestion as to reading F1 as a numeric value without changing this formula
in cell F1. Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem with the formula, as given, is that it is a fragment of a logical
construction. Your sentence says "F1 = 5 OR O1 = 5000" and then does nothing
with that logical function. It would be like saying "apples or potatoes"
with no other context.

What are you trying to test with the OR condition?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Richard" wrote:

=OR($F$1=5,$O$1=5000)The problem with this formula working is the formula in
cell F1 is being read as text (I think) and I need it to read as numerac.
Example: The cells that I need are selected and conditional formatted to
change to red if these criteria are met. If a 5 is in cell F1 or 5000 in cell
O1, The O1 cell works fine because it is a mumeric value but cell F1 has
=DATEDIF(A40,TODAY(),"M")&" months " which renders it not working. Any
suggestion as to reading F1 as a numeric value without changing this formula
in cell F1. Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look up IS functions in Excel Help, there's an ISNUMBER or an ISTEXT, as well
as other "IS" functions that you can use to evaluate the return value of the
formula in cell F1
--
Kevin Backmann

"Richard" wrote:

=OR($F$1=5,$O$1=5000)The problem with this formula working is the formula in
cell F1 is being read as text (I think) and I need it to read as numerac.
Example: The cells that I need are selected and conditional formatted to
change to red if these criteria are met. If a 5 is in cell F1 or 5000 in cell
O1, The O1 cell works fine because it is a mumeric value but cell F1 has
=DATEDIF(A40,TODAY(),"M")&" months " which renders it not working. Any
suggestion as to reading F1 as a numeric value without changing this formula
in cell F1. Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, it's not a fragment, If these one or both conditions are met ( 1 or 5000)
then under my conditional formatting which ever cells I have selected with
change to whichever color that I have selected. Thanks for your help but
Kevin and Pete has answered my question.