Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for 55% of a cell reference cannot exceed 156?

I am trying to set up a formula in Excel 2000 to determine paycheck
deductions.
A+B=C
55% of C cannot exceed $156.00 If it does exceed $156.00, I would like the
cell to read $156.00
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

I am not 100 % sure I know what you want

do you want the value of C

=min(A1-B1,156/.55)

or do you want 55% of C to show?

=min(.55*(A1-B1),$156.00)

or do you want A-B to show unless the 55 % of A-B is greater than 156

=if(.55*(A1-B1)156, 156,(A1-B1)

"pcue1490" wrote:

I am trying to set up a formula in Excel 2000 to determine paycheck
deductions.
A+B=C
55% of C cannot exceed $156.00 If it does exceed $156.00, I would like the
cell to read $156.00
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could re-write Bob's formula as:

=IF(55%*C1<156,55%*C1,156)

if you specifically want to make it a conditional formula, but I think
you will agree that the MIN function is easier to type.

Hope this helps.

Pete

pcue1490 wrote:
Thank You! Is this considered a conditional formula?

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

=MIN(156,55%*C1)