scott

Default Alphabetical list of Numbers are not correct!

I'm working with numbers in a column and some numbers are the same.
when I try to have the numbers accend in numeric order they are arranged
wrong.. 26125 then 26126 then 26125 again. 506 will come before 0506. I
want the numbers to line up like 0506,26125, 26125, 26126, 506.
letter are no problem just the numbers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JulieD

Hi Scott

the only way i can get the "numbers" to behave like you want them to is to
enter them with a leading '
e.g.
'0506
'26125
etc
the ' doesn't show, but when i use data / sort to sort them they sort in the
order you want.

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"scott" wrote in message
I'm working with numbers in a column and some numbers are the same.
when I try to have the numbers accend in numeric order they are arranged
wrong.. 26125 then 26126 then 26125 again. 506 will come before 0506. I
want the numbers to line up like 0506,26125, 26125, 26126, 506.
letter are no problem just the numbers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hi,
I thing you have some of the numbers formated as text.
excel sort numbers and text differently and when sorted
togeather numbers first text last.
check and correct the formats then try again
this is the only explanation that would explain this
unusual behavior.

.