Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Negative numbers in brackets

I cannot find an option for showing negative numbers in brackets when I go to
Format, cell, number. The only choices I find are either to show with minus
sign or in red. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like:
Format Cells... Number Custom
General;(General);General;@
--
Gary's Student

"Keith" wrote:

I cannot find an option for showing negative numbers in brackets when I go to
Format, cell, number. The only choices I find are either to show with minus
sign or in red. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel picks this up from a windows setting:

Windows start button|control panel
regional and language options
regional options tab
click the customize button
currency tab
change the negative currency format to show ()'s.

Keith wrote:

I cannot find an option for showing negative numbers in brackets when I go to
Format, cell, number. The only choices I find are either to show with minus
sign or in red. Any suggestions would be welcome.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Keith

If negative brackets are not available in the NumberNegative Numbers dialog.

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

StartSettingsControl PanelRegional and Language SettingsRegional
OptionsCustomizeCurrencyNegative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OKApply your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 08:21:01 -0700, Keith
wrote:

I cannot find an option for showing negative numbers in brackets when I go to
Format, cell, number. The only choices I find are either to show with minus
sign or in red. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And just to clarify one point - it's parentheses, not brackets.

( ) are parentheses; [ ] are brackets; { } are braces