Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default Help with lookup

Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look for 4.6. But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

What formula are you using?
=LOOKUP(4.5,A2:A5) returns 4.5 for me

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look for 4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

I am using the same as you, would it be the size of the range, as it goes
o.1,0.2,all the way to 28?
Every other sheet with lookup works fine but not this one
bob

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look for 4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

But you say it is returning an answer of 4 for 4.4 and 5 for 4.6.
Those don't look like the returns from Lookup, but more like the returns
from =ROUND(A1,0).

Also, are the values in your column of data, type values or values
returned from formulae?
What happens if you change the format of the cells to a greater number
of decimals?
Does 4.5 show up as 4.499 or something similar?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Hi Roger
I am using type data
=IF(A3="","",LOOKUP(A3,K3:L283))
this is a copy/paste above, i have added another decimal, 4.0 now shows 4.00
i did do another lookup just using 0.1 through to 1.8 with increases of 0.1,
which worked but anything larger still returns for eg 4.5 as 4 instead of 5
This is driving me mad
Regards
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

If you want to mail me a copy of the sheet direct, I'll take a look
Remove NOSPAM from my email address to send

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look
for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Hi Roger
Thank you for you kind offer but i got so angry i deleted the sheet to move
in a different direction.
I am writing a golf score card( based on just my home club) but would like
to expand to other clubs. The yardage and stroke index will be different to
my club, i have set formulas for each hole based on the players handicap, to
calculate both net score and stableford points, just by inputing the gross
score.
=IF(E18="","",IF((AND(D3=D18,D3<28)),E18-1,IF(D3<D18,E18,IF(D3=28,E18-2))))
this is for a par 4 stroke index 10.
what i would like to do is have a list of index 1 - 18 with the appropiate
code next to it so the user can select which index is on a certain hole and
the correct code will slot into the correct net.
can this be done using lookup?
i hope this makes sense
Regards
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look
for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

Firstly, I am a non-golfer, so other than understanding what par, birdie
and eagle are from watching occasional golf on the TV, I haven't a clue.

From your description,
what is being entered in E18?
what values do D3 and D18 hold, and are they fixed or do they alter
relative to E18?
we have a constant of 28, what is that for?
what table of values do you want to lookup?

I am sure Vlookup, or Index and Match will provide a solution for you,
but I need a better understanding of exactly what you are trying to
achieve.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look
for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the
wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Hi Roger
=IF(E18="","",IF((AND(D3=D18,D3<28)),E18-1,IF(D3<D18,E18,IF(D3=28,E18-2))))
E18= gross score
D3 players handicap
D18= stroke index(lower the harder the hole plays)
This code is for a stroke index of 10, which reads
if gross score is blank,leave blank, if handicap is greater-equal and less
than 28 then say if gross score is 5 strokes it will return 4
if the handicap is less than the stroke index then the gross score entered
will remain the same
lastly if the handicap is 28 then gross score of 5 will return 3( this is if
a player has a handicap of 28 then he has an extra 1 shot on each hole plus
an additional shot for stroke index 1-10)
handicap of 19 will get 18 shots for card plus additional shot on SI 1
On my home card each stroke index has its own code which determines
variations to each handicap.
For my home course the above code is in relation to hole#6, but on another
course SI 10 could be on hole 8 or 17, so how would i apply each SI code to
be applied no matter what course details i input
I have tried to copy paste formula to another sheet and used
lookup(SI,range) but this did not work, is there a macro which would run this?
I am sorry to be a pain, and would like to thank you thus far
Regards
Bob

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Bob

Firstly, I am a non-golfer, so other than understanding what par, birdie
and eagle are from watching occasional golf on the TV, I haven't a clue.

From your description,

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i look
for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the
wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob

Probably easiest if you mail me a copy of the Sheet, with the extra
sheet which has the table of values for different holes, on different
course and I will see if I can resole it for you.

Remove NOSPAM from address to mail direct.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

Hi Roger

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Bob

Firstly, I am a non-golfer, so other than understanding what par,
birdie
and eagle are from watching occasional golf on the TV, I haven't a
clue.

From your description,

"Bob" wrote in message
Full Handicap Playing Handicap
4.3 4
4.4 4
4.5 5
4.6 5
Lookup will return 4 if i am looking for 4.4, and 5 if i
look
for
4.6.
But
for some reason on all the #.5 will always return with the
wrong
result. For
eg 4.5 will return 4 not 5.
Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Thanks Roger
That is working now
Regards
Bob

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Bob

Probably easiest if you mail me a copy of the Sheet, with the extra
sheet which has the table of values for different holes, on different
course and I will see if I can resole it for you.

Remove NOSPAM from address to mail direct.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

Hi Roger

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Bob

Firstly, I am a non-golfer, so other than understanding what par,
birdie
and eagle are from watching occasional golf on the TV, I haven't a
clue.

From your description,