Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lock easily breaks.

Have read some posts on lock cells, tag. Many reply that this protection is
easily breaks. what does that mean? how do we go break them, other than
password protection type?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

copy all the cells and paste them on another sheet would be one type of
breaking.

saving the file as a lotus 1-2-3 wks, then reopening the wks in Excel would
be another I believe.

There is code floating around to break the password.

Tom Ogilvy

"kyoshirou" wrote in message
Have read some posts on lock cells, tag. Many reply that this protection
is
easily breaks. what does that mean? how do we go break them, other than
password protection type?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe that they are referring to the ease with which passwords used to
protect the Workbook or Worksheet(s) can be broken. While a worksheet is
still protected, with or without a password, locked cells will remain locked.

Microsoft acknowledges that the 'Protection' is more to preserve formulas
and content from accidental change than it is to actually provide security to
the workbook or worksheet.

"kyoshirou" wrote:

Have read some posts on lock cells, tag. Many reply that this protection is
easily breaks. what does that mean? how do we go break them, other than
password protection type?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way, along the lines that Tom Ogilivy has mentioned, would be to
simply link from the cells on a protected sheet to an unprotected one, either
in the same workbook or a new one and just stretch the area to fit. You can
retrieve the values on the protected sheet that way and from the copy you can
do pretty much what you want with them. However, this method does not show
you formulas used. But a little VBA code can overcome even that minor
inconvenience.