Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CN CN is offline

Default pivot table will not refresh

I use Excel 2003 and work with pivot tables on a daily basis. I did not
realize they were supposed to be able to refresh until a co-worker told me
about this. I am not able to make this work. She is not able to make this
work at my computer. Is there something obvious that I am not doing right???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is the source data for the pivot table?
If it's a worksheet data range that is populated by a query, you'd need to
re-run the query to pull the latest data into the range, then right click on
the pivot table and select Refresh. (it won't automatically refresh based on
a change in the source data.)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"CN" wrote:

I use Excel 2003 and work with pivot tables on a daily basis. I did not
realize they were supposed to be able to refresh until a co-worker told me
about this. I am not able to make this work. She is not able to make this
work at my computer. Is there something obvious that I am not doing right???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CN CN is offline

The source of my data is a worksheet that I add additional data to on a daily
basis. I am cutting lines of data from a csv file and then pasting into the
Excel file. What I have to do is create a new pivot table each day. If I
simple try to refresh it does not work. It seems so straight forward. I am
going to have our IT group re-install Office because I can't think of
anything else. I appreciate your response!!!

"CN" wrote:

I use Excel 2003 and work with pivot tables on a daily basis. I did not
realize they were supposed to be able to refresh until a co-worker told me
about this. I am not able to make this work. She is not able to make this
work at my computer. Is there something obvious that I am not doing right???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you appending new data to the bottom of the old data?

If yes, you'll need to either:
adjust the source data range for the pivot table
Right-click the pivot table
Select the Pivot Table Wizard....Click the [Back] button
Re-select the range

OR
use a dynamic named range that will automatically resize based on the amount
of data. Here's how to make:
http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
(it may look a little complicated, but it's definitely worrh learning)

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP