Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LOU LOU is offline

Default complex formula

i have a list of random numbers in column A1 0-75. i am trying to make a
formula that will predict results based on the number in column A that will
appear in column B

up to 29 should result in a letter W in column B
30 - 37 should result in a number 1
38 - 44 should result in 2C
45 - 55 should result in 2B
56 -65 should result in 2A
66 and over should result in 3

Have been trying all day, can get the numbers but as soon as I try to add
letters I am lost. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lou

Try this formula in B1

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,30,38,45,56,66},{"W",1,"2C","2B","2A ",3})

Double-click to copy down if you have data in A1:A75

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:38:01 -0700, Lou wrote:

i have a list of random numbers in column A1 0-75. i am trying to make a
formula that will predict results based on the number in column A that will
appear in column B

up to 29 should result in a letter W in column B
30 - 37 should result in a number 1
38 - 44 should result in 2C
45 - 55 should result in 2B
56 -65 should result in 2A
66 and over should result in 3

Have been trying all day, can get the numbers but as soon as I try to add
letters I am lost. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LOU LOU is offline

Not really hard when you know what you are doing! I unfortunately am still a
novice. Thanks for trying to help me much appreciated, but I seem to get w's
with every result when I tried this one. Don't use any more of your valuable
time on this one though -another kind person has helped me too. sorted!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Not really that hard. Look in the help index for LOOKUP
try
=LOOKUP(G8,{0,30,38,45,56,66},{"w",1,"2c","2b","2a ",3})

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software