Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I write a fromula to subtract 1/4 from 1/2 and so on?

I am trying to find a way to (increase or Decrease) a recipe formula.

Please Help.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a trick to entering and using fractions. To enter 1/4 use:

= 1/4

Note the single space after the equal sign. This means you won't have to
waste time converting all you fractions to decimals.

You should also checkout the CONVERT() worksheet function. It makes it easy
to convert tablespoons, teaspoons, cups, pints, quarts,etc.
--
Gary''s Student

"Excell novice" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to (increase or Decrease) a recipe formula.

Please Help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't give much clue as to what sort of recipes you are talking about.
If it is - say - a recipe for four people and you want to increase it to
seven then I suggest that you first of all set out the quantities as per the
recipe for four people in - say - B4:B10 with a 4 in B3, then hide Column B.

Now enter the number you want to cook for in C3.

The formula to automatically convert the quantities is:

=ROUND(B4*$C$3/$B$3*4,0)/4

This will convert the recipe for 4 to a recipe for 7 to the nearest 1/4
ounce

For things that you cannot divide - eggs for example - use:

=ROUND(B8*C3/B3,0)

This however will not work for cakes because it then is not a
straightforward proportion. Post back if it is for cakes

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Excell novice" wrote in message
I am trying to find a way to (increase or Decrease) a recipe formula.

Please Help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I like to use 0 1/4, sing a spaces seems to leave text in XL2003
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Excell novice" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to (increase or Decrease) a recipe formula.

Please Help.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To cut the amount in a recipe by 3/4, you simply multiply each ingredient by 3/4
(or .75). To cut by a half, multiply by 1/2 (or .50).

So try the following on a recipe you want to cut by a half:

Enter =1/2 (or 0.5) in a cell.
Copy the cell (right-click on it and choose Copy).
Highlight all ingredient amounts.
Right click on this range, choose Paste Special, Multiply.

Now all your amounts should be half of what they were before.

Does this help?

Fred