Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default How can I write a fromula to subtract 1/4 from 1/2 and so on?

To cut the amount in a recipe by 3/4, you simply multiply each ingredient by 3/4
(or .75). To cut by a half, multiply by 1/2 (or .50).

So try the following on a recipe you want to cut by a half:

Enter =1/2 (or 0.5) in a cell.
Copy the cell (right-click on it and choose Copy).
Highlight all ingredient amounts.
Right click on this range, choose Paste Special, Multiply.

Now all your amounts should be half of what they were before.

Does this help?

Fred

"Excell novice" wrote in message
I tried what you said,guess I just don;t get it.
All I want is to cut the amount in 3/4, 1/2, 1/4.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

There is a trick to entering and using fractions. To enter 1/4 use:

= 1/4

Note the single space after the equal sign. This means you won't have to
waste time converting all you fractions to decimals.

You should also checkout the CONVERT() worksheet function. It makes it easy
to convert tablespoons, teaspoons, cups, pints, quarts,etc.
--
Gary''s Student

"Excell novice" wrote:

I am trying to find a way to (increase or Decrease) a recipe formula.

Please Help.

Thanks