Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Saved-workspace weirdness, questions

I have some saved workspaces in Excel 2002. E.g., one has five
workbooks saved together, another has three. When I open the
workspaces, I get warning messages about failed updates to links,
and I get an attempt to open a nonexistent workbook which results
in the open-file dialog (directory window) popping open on
my screen. I simply click Cancel and all is well as far as
the nonexistent workbook goes. I can't figure out where the
failed links are, either. I use the workbooks daily, and
have not seen any formula errors or problems. If I click
the dialog for updating links, Excel says the required workbook is
open already, and if I let Excel open it again I will lose changes.
(There are not yet changes at this point, though.) If I try to
do that anyway, Excel crashes. If I click "Continue," all is well.
If I click "Edit Links," none of the choices in there appear to do
anything helpful.

If I open the worksheets individually in series, there are no
error messages and no nonexistent file tries to open. If I
save a brand new workspace using the same files, the errors
do *not* go away. What the heck?

Also, I close the Euro-conversion toolbar and don't have it
it always opens as a pop-up toolbar. I have to wait for Excel
to finish loading, and then I can close it. I can't figure out
why it keeps opening or how to keep it from doing so. I don't
have any euros in my workbooks, and this is a U.S.-localized
version of Excel, though I do live in Europe. (I work with
dollars, though.) I suppose I could just uninstall the toolbar,
but since I'm living in Europe, I can imagine it could be helpful
to me at some point.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks,
Dallman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The first thing to try is to delete the workspace file (extension .xlw) and
to create it again.

If that doesn't solve your problems, enter code similar to the following in
the "ThisWorkbook" module of your primary workbook in Visual Basic (it avoids
some of the drawbacks of saved workspaces; maybe it will solve your link
problems, as well):

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim MyPath As String
MyPath = ThisWorkbook.Path

Workbooks.Open (MyPath & "\workbook4.xls")
Workbooks.Open (MyPath & "\workbook3.xls")
Workbooks.Open (MyPath & "\workbook2.xls")

Workbooks(1).Activate

Application.ShowWindowsInTaskbar = False
Application.ShowWindowsInTaskbar = True

End Sub

This code was designed for the other workbooks to be in the same directory
as the primary one, so that I didn't have to specify the full path for each
file. The workbooks are opened in back-to-front order of how I want them to
"stack" on the Windows desktop. After that, I activate the primary workbook
to put it on top of the others.

On my system, something weird happens with the taskbar if I omit the last
two lines of the procedure; you may or may not need them on your system.

Good luck!