Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I quadruple numbers starting with 1, 2?

How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come up with 4,
8, etc.?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Multiply the number in question by 4.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"frenchy" wrote:

How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come up with 4,
8, etc.?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You need to raise the number to the power of using the exponentiation
symbol ^

However, you can't start with 1 as
1^4 = 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 which = 1

2^3 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"frenchy" wrote in message
How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come up
with 4,
8, etc.?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Quadruple means multiply by 4.

Your example sequence shows numbers doubled.

Which do you want?

Quadrupled would be 1,4,16,64

A1 contains 1

A2 contains =A1*4

Drag/copy down column A

Doubled would be 1,2,4,8 as our example.

A1 contains 1

A2 contains =A1*2

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:43:02 -0700, frenchy
wrote:

How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come up with 4,
8, etc.?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JC JC is offline

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:00:59 +0100, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

"frenchy" wrote in message
How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come up
with 4,
8, etc.?

Hi

You need to raise the number to the power of using the exponentiation
symbol ^

However, you can't start with 1 as
1^4 = 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 which = 1

2^3 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8

Roger,

You need to look up the term 'quadruple' in your dictionary. To quadruple a
number you make it 4 times as big NOT raise it to the 4th power.

To answer the question you do the following:-

A B
1 =4*A1
2 =4*A2
3 =4*A3
4 =4*A4
5 =4*A5

etc until you reach the end of the numbers that you wish to quadruple.
--

Cheers . . . JC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

And how does your solution fit the OP's requirement of a going in a
series 1, 2, 4, 8?
Your solution produces 4, 8, 12, 16.

Looking at the series posted, I thought (erroneously) the OP had used
the wrong term and I suggested raising 2 to the power of 3, not the
power of 4

Luckily, Gord has posted the correct solution.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

"frenchy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe<g

Gord

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:14:53 +0100, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Luckily, Gord has posted the correct solution.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord

On further reflection (and disregarding the terminology used by the OP)
to satisfy his series of numbers the generalised expression of 2^(N-1)
where N is the series 1,2,3,4 produces the correct result.

So with A1 =1, A2 =2, A3 =3, A4= 4 the formula 2^(A1-N) in B1, and
copied down gives the desired result of 1,2,4,8
On the other hand, 4^(A1-1) would produce your alternative suggestion of
1,4,16,64.

I wonder if we will ever learn what the requirement was?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote:

Luckily, Gord has posted the correct solution.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looks like this has been bugging you<g

You are right...we may never know.

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 07:59:36 +0100, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Hi Gord

On further reflection (and disregarding the terminology used by the OP)
to satisfy his series of numbers the generalised expression of 2^(N-1)
where N is the series 1,2,3,4 produces the correct result.

So with A1 =1, A2 =2, A3 =3, A4= 4 the formula 2^(A1-N) in B1, and
copied down gives the desired result of 1,2,4,8
On the other hand, 4^(A1-1) would produce your alternative suggestion of
1,4,16,64.

I wonder if we will ever learn what the requirement was?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JC JC is offline

wrote:

"frenchy" wrote in message
How do I quadruple numbers after I start with 1 and then 2 to come
up with 4, 8, etc.?

Hi

And how does your solution fit the OP's requirement of a going in a
series 1, 2, 4, 8?
Your solution produces 4, 8, 12, 16.

Looking at the series posted, I thought (erroneously) the OP had used
the wrong term and I suggested raising 2 to the power of 3, not the
power of 4

Luckily, Gord has posted the correct solution.

Roger

Try READING his question again. He asks how does he start with 1, 2 etc to
come up with results of 4, 8 etc.

He is NOT asking for a series 1, 2, 4, 8....

I'll admit that the question could have been phrased better but it is still
clear enough. Please allow for the fact that English is probably a second
language for him given his name.
--

Cheers . . . JC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi JC

You are absolutely right. On re-reading I see what you are saying.

I do apologise to you, and I shouldn't have been so "feisty" about the
thought that someone believed I didn't know the difference between
quadruple and exponentiation. I have been known to make the odd
error<vbg

However, the thread did make the "grey cells" work overtime to recall
high school maths so that I could come up with an exponentiation answer
which fitted my imagined request for a series 1,2,4,8 - so some good
did come of it in the end<bg

Many thanks.

--
Regards