arreferee

Default Changing column widths in certain cells

Is there any way I can specify different column widths as I move down the
spreadsheet? For instance, I need columnA to be 20 wide in rows 1-20 and 10
wide in rows 21-40.
JulieD

no

however, you could merge cells to achieve this - but these can cause
problems later if you are doing any filtering or sorting etc

Cheers
JulieD

"arreferee" wrote in message
Is there any way I can specify different column widths as I move down the
spreadsheet? For instance, I need columnA to be 20 wide in rows 1-20 and
10
wide in rows 21-40.

tjtjjtjt

You can't really do this. Cells don't have a width--the column does, so you
have to affect the whole column.

tj

"arreferee" wrote:

Is there any way I can specify different column widths as I move down the
spreadsheet? For instance, I need columnA to be 20 wide in rows 1-20 and 10
wide in rows 21-40.

arreferee

JulieD, how can I do this by merging the cells? I don't plan to ever filter
or sort the cells.

Thanks for the response.

arreferee

"arreferee" wrote in message
Is there any way I can specify different column widths as I move down the
spreadsheet? For instance, I need columnA to be 20 wide in rows 1-20 and
10
wide in rows 21-40.

tjtjjtjt

For the cells you want to be wider, Merge the Cells in A and B. For the
narrow cells, don't merge.
Ex:
Select A1 and B1. Then, Format | Cells | Alignment | Check Merge.

tj

"arreferee" wrote in message
Is there any way I can specify different column widths as I move down the
spreadsheet? For instance, I need columnA to be 20 wide in rows 1-20 and
10
wide in rows 21-40.

JulieD

Hi

assuming column B is not used for anything else
select A1 & B1 and click on the Merge & Center icon on the toolbar (little a
trying to get out of a box) - or choose format cells / alignment tab / merge
then select A2 & B2 and press the F4 key on the keyboard (repeats last
action)
do this all the way down to row 20

now size column A & B as needed to get the "different" sized cells you
require

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD