tbowden

Default Can you sort text in a random order in Excel

I'm fairly new to excel and trying to figure out if I can sort a column of
text in a random order. Any information would be appreicated
Bernie Deitrick

tbowden,

If you insert a column, and fill it with formulas

=RAND()

to match your text, then select and sort both the text and the formulas
based on the formula, you will have randomized your text.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"tbowden" wrote in message
I'm fairly new to excel and trying to figure out if I can sort a column of
text in a random order. Any information would be appreicated

JulieD

Hi

generally the way to do this is to use another column as a "helper" column
and put a function in this column to generate random numbers and then sort
by this column.

to do this, choose a column adjacent to your data an in the first cell type
=ROUND(RAND()*1000,0)
now double click on the little fill handle (+) bottom right of cell to copy
the formula down the column
select this column - choose copy, edit / paste special - values OK
to change the formula into values
Now click in one cell only, choose data / sort - ensure that the correct
range has been highlighted and choose to sort on this column of numbers -
either ascending or descending.

You can then delete the column of numbers if you like.

Cheers
JulieD

"tbowden" wrote in message
I'm fairly new to excel and trying to figure out if I can sort a column of
text in a random order. Any information would be appreicated

Bernd Plumhoff

If you have 8 texts in cells A1:A8 you can select cells
B1:B8, enter

=INDEX(A1:A8,UniqRandInt(COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<"""""),F ALSE))

(as array formula, enter with CTRL+SHIFT+RETURN), for
example.

You will find the function UniqRandInt() at
www.sulprobil.com. Copy its text, press ALT+F11, insert a
module, then paste the copied vba function text. That's
it, I hope.

HTH,
Bernd