JulieD

Hi

generally the way to do this is to use another column as a "helper" column
and put a function in this column to generate random numbers and then sort
by this column.

to do this, choose a column adjacent to your data an in the first cell type
=ROUND(RAND()*1000,0)
now double click on the little fill handle (+) bottom right of cell to copy
the formula down the column
select this column - choose copy, edit / paste special - values OK
to change the formula into values
Now click in one cell only, choose data / sort - ensure that the correct
range has been highlighted and choose to sort on this column of numbers -
either ascending or descending.

You can then delete the column of numbers if you like.

Cheers
JulieD

"tbowden" wrote in message
I'm fairly new to excel and trying to figure out if I can sort a column of
text in a random order. Any information would be appreicated