Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Wrap/print question

With wrap function on, the text wraps as expected. When a line wraps, and
you leave the cell, you get a line of " # " signs. ( ######### ) I'm sure
that's to let viewer know there is wrapped text.

Single click the cell, read the text in the upper view field. No problem.

Double click the cell and read the text "in" the cell. No problem.

But when you print the sheet, you get the #'s in the field instead of the
text.

We have a "Notes" field that almost always requires several text lines in
each row.

What I'd like is for the entire row to "open up" in size as the text wraps
so the text always stays visible, and the entire row size "goes along" with
the size of the Notes cell.

EX: 2nd column is Notes. 1st is item No. The other columns contain data.

When we enter a long text line in column 2, I'd like the entire row size to
"grow" along with the note cell. And when I hit ENTER or leave the cell,
have that row stay larger, showing the entire note. Kinda like this . . .

|-------|---------------------------------------|---------|---------|----------|
| 4 | Text here . . . korere[trotoopt]ot | 0.125 | .244 | .0015 |
| |opfop[o] fok f]]opf]qre[kf]offo]f[[ | | |

| | [poi[ofpokf]pokf]opkf]okf[pof]po | | |

| 5 | More Text | 0.243 | .395 |
..0021 |

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It could mean a few things.

1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.

Widen the column or change the font size of that cell. Or change the
numberformat to General.

2. You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative

Don't use negative dates. If excel was helping you, it may have
changed the format to a date. Change it back to General (or some
other number format).

If you need to see negative date/times:
Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
(but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
workbook that doesn't use this setting)

3. You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

Format the cell as general.

4. You really have ###'s in that cell.

Clean up that cell.

5. You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.

Change the format
(format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.

=====
I'm guessing #3 for you.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the reply, Dave. 

Yesterday I posted, or tried to post a response. Got it done, hit POST, and
I got a prompt that I needed to log in again. When I did, the post was gone.

So . . . lets try again.

It could mean a few things.

The column width is too narrow to show the number. Widen the column or
change the font size of that cell. Or change the number format to General.
.. . .

Not the situation Im asking about. This sheet has 3 columns. 1 is a
narrow column for entering the item number. Seldom more than 7 characters,
and sized appropriately. Maybe ¾ wide.

3 is for print location. Where the note is found on the print. 4
characters. About ½ wide.

The 2nd column is the remaining length of a landscape page. This sheet is
only for notes, and many of them are 1 or 2, or 3 paragraphs long. The
font/pitch is set for an appropriate size so when the customer prints it out,
it can be easily read, etc.

You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative . . .

No dates are in the text. Its just . . . text. 

You have a lot of text in the cell . . .

Ya think! LOL

.. . . the cell is formatted as Text. Format the cell as general. . . .

Tried both. No change.

You really have ###'s in that cell. Clean up that cell. . . .

Um, er . . . Nada. No #s in the text.

You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill. Change the format
(format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General. . . .

No #s and its formatted as general.

I think maybe Im not explaining what I really want. Wish I could just send
you a screenshot of what I want. UGGHHHH!

I want the height of each row to increase as I enter in more data into a
text cell. If I enter in 9 lines of text, I want all 9 lines to always
show up. And the height of the entire row to resize appropriately . . . so
when I hit enter or leave the cell, it stays the same, and all text can be
read . . . and more importantly, printed out.

So if you scrolled down my sheet, youd see various rows at varying heights,
and could read all the text in each row.

BTW: I tried just resizing the height of a row to fit all the text after
typing in 5 or 6 lines. Still doesnt show it all unless I dbl click the
cell. And Ive used every format combo that can be used. (Um, unless I
missed the only one that works! LOL)

To test it out, I colored the each line of text a different color. When I
dbl click the cell, each line is its own color. When I leave the cell, the
line lengths change. Youll see one line with one color, but the last few
words will be the color of the next line. (The words from next line are on
that line. As in, the line length is longer and more words fit the line)

Is that a clearer explanation of what Im trying to do?

 Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't understand this:

. . . the cell is formatted as Text. Format the cell as general. . . .

Tried both. No change.

What are the both things you tried.

And I'd try formatting the cell as General once more.

Wayne Knazek wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Dave. 

Yesterday I posted, or tried to post a response. Got it done, hit POST, and
I got a prompt that I needed to log in again. When I did, the post was gone.

So . . . lets try again.

It could mean a few things.

The column width is too narrow to show the number. Widen the column or
change the font size of that cell. Or change the number format to General.
. . .

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I formatted them every which way but loose! LOL But as suggested, I
formatted them as general, and text. Then general again. it didn't make any
change.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't understand this:

. . . the cell is formatted as Text. Format the cell as general. . . .

Tried both. No change.

What are the both things you tried.

And I'd try formatting the cell as General once more.

Wayne Knazek wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Dave. ï*

Yesterday I posted, or tried to post a response. Got it done, hit POST, and
I got a prompt that I needed to log in again. When I did, the post was gone.


So . . . letâs try again.

It could mean a few things.

The column width is too narrow to show the number. Widen the column or
change the font size of that cell. Or change the number format to General.
. . .

Not the situation Iâm asking about. This sheet has 3 columns. 1 is a
narrow column for entering the item number. Seldom more than 7 characters,
and sized appropriately. Maybe ¾❠wide.

3 is for print location. Where the note is found on the print. 4
characters. About ½❠wide.

The 2nd column is the remaining length of a landscape page. This sheet is
only for notes, and many of them are 1 or 2, or 3 paragraphs long. The
font/pitch is set for an appropriate size so when the customer prints it out,
it can be easily read, etc.

You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative . . .

No dates are in the text. Itâs just . . . text. ï*

You have a lot of text in the cell . . .

Ya think! LOL

. . . the cell is formatted as Text. Format the cell as general. . . .

Tried both. No change.

You really have ###'s in that cell. Clean up that cell. . . .

Um, er . . . Nada. No #âs in the text.

You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill. Change the format
(format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General. . . .

No #âs and itâs formatted as general.

I think maybe Iâm not explaining what I really want. Wish I could just send
you a screenshot of what I want. UGGHHHH!

I want the height of each row to increase as I enter in more data into a
text cell. If I enter in 9 lines of text, I want all 9 lines to âœalwaysâ
show up. And the height of the entire row to resize appropriately . . . so
when I hit âœenter❠or leave the cell, it stays the same, and all text can be
read . . . and more importantly, printed out.

So if you scrolled down my sheet, youâd see various rows at varying heights,
and could read all the text in each row.

BTW: I tried just resizing the height of a row to fit all the text after
typing in 5 or 6 lines. Still doesnât show it all unless I dbl click the
cell. And Iâve used every format combo that can be used. (Um, unless I
missed the only one that works! LOL)

To test it out, I colored the each line of text a different color. When I
dbl click the cell, each line is itâs own color. When I leave the cell, the
line lengths change. Youâll see one line with one color, but the last few
words will be the color of the next line. (The words from next line are on
that line. As in, the line length is longer and more words fit the line)

Is that a clearer explanation of what Iâm trying to do?

ï* Thanks again.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions.

Wayne Knazek wrote:

I formatted them every which way but loose! LOL But as suggested, I
formatted them as general, and text. Then general again. it didn't make any
change.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't understand this:

. . . the cell is formatted as Text. Format the cell as general. . . .

Tried both. No change.

What are the both things you tried.

And I'd try formatting the cell as General once more.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. ï