Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default matching

I have two lists of data to compare against one another and find the unique
transactions (a transaction that is on one list but not on the other). I am
reconciling one set of transactions against another set of transactions to
find the differences.

I would like to compare the "Date" in column a,row 2; the "Auth Num" in
column d, row 2; and "TF Gallon" in column e, row 2, all on a worksheet
titled "SIMONS", against the "Date" in column a,row 2; the "Auth Num" in
column d, row 2; and "TF Gallon" in column e, row 2 on a worksheet called
"TA".

Unfortunately what is supposed to be a unique identifier, the five digit
"Auth Num" is not really unique enough. Sometimes there are duplicate
numbers and supposedly unique Auth Num's that have really just been
transposed so that it is unique but is actually for a transaction on the
other worksheet. This company's accounting software is bad.

I would like to compare both worksheets and, using the auth num first, find
the transactions that are the same. 98% of the transactions will be
eliminated as being unique using the Auth Num to compare data.

Most but not all. For the transactions that come back unique (there will be
about 40 at most and usually ten), compare the Date and TF Gallons. If they
match on the Date and TF gallons then they are probably the same transaction
and then can be eliminated as being unique. The TF gallons is an amount of
gas that was purchased.

After the data is run matched by Auth Num and then Date and TF Gallons,
whatever is left over should be unique and I can then add/subtract from the
proper list to accomplish my reconcile.

How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, take a look at: