Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default auto number rows when printing

Is there a way to auto number the rows on a printout? I have a column in my
spreadsheet that is the count column (increases by 1 in each row to show how
many "records" there are). When I am working with the filters or sorting, it
obviously moves the count column around too (I know that I can sort without
that column). I would like to print rosters of various subgroups from my
spreadsheet using various filters and have Excel number my rows on the
printout in consecutive order. Is it possible??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

for you count column

=subtotal(3,$A$2:A2)

then drag fill down the column

Make sure that the column it counts is one that will have data in every row.

Tom Ogilvy

"Eduman" wrote:

Is there a way to auto number the rows on a printout? I have a column in my
spreadsheet that is the count column (increases by 1 in each row to show how
many "records" there are). When I am working with the filters or sorting, it
obviously moves the count column around too (I know that I can sort without
that column). I would like to print rosters of various subgroups from my
spreadsheet using various filters and have Excel number my rows on the
printout in consecutive order. Is it possible??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The coding in the parentheses means to take the subtotal of range A2:A2 by
counting the number of occurrences of text in that range.

As you fill the formula down it will change its range from A2:A2 to A2:A3,
etc. That's what the dollar signs mean.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.