Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default auto number rows when printing

The coding in the parentheses means to take the subtotal of range A2:A2 by
counting the number of occurrences of text in that range.

As you fill the formula down it will change its range from A2:A2 to A2:A3,
etc. That's what the dollar signs mean.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Eduman" wrote:

Thanks Tom. That worked great. Can you explain what the coding in the
parenthesis? Just so that I truly understand what I did. I'm like that.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

for you count column

=subtotal(3,$A$2:A2)

then drag fill down the column

Make sure that the column it counts is one that will have data in every row.

Tom Ogilvy

"Eduman" wrote:

Is there a way to auto number the rows on a printout? I have a column in my
spreadsheet that is the count column (increases by 1 in each row to show how
many "records" there are). When I am working with the filters or sorting, it
obviously moves the count column around too (I know that I can sort without
that column). I would like to print rosters of various subgroups from my
spreadsheet using various filters and have Excel number my rows on the
printout in consecutive order. Is it possible??