Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default is there a limit to how much text can be entered in merged cells

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

32,767 characters.

But unless you do something special, you might not be able to see more than
about 1000 characters.

If you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters and adjust the rowheight, you'll
see much, much more than the 1000 characters documented in xl's help.

roygray wrote:

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave's post stated...................

"If you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters and adjust the rowheight, you'll
see much, much more than the 1000 characters documented in xl's help."

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray
wrote:

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried Dave's workaround, but it isn't working for me. Is there anything
else I can do. We use EXCEL spreadsheets to track absenteeism and there are
usually many many comments to add. Any suggestions for me! HELP!
--
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave's post stated...................

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens when you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters and then adjust the
rowheight manually?

Gerrie wrote:

I tried Dave's workaround, but it isn't working for me. Is there anything
else I can do. We use EXCEL spreadsheets to track absenteeism and there are
usually many many comments to add. Any suggestions for me! HELP!
--
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave's post stated...................

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray
wrote:

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I get white space at the top of the cell and the rest of the text just moves
down in the cell without giving me the last few lines of text just as before
the alt-enters.
--

"Gerrie" wrote:

I tried Dave's workaround, but it isn't working for me. Is there anything
else I can do. We use EXCEL spreadsheets to track absenteeism and there are
usually many many comments to add. Any suggestions for me! HELP!
--
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave's post stated...................

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But you can still see the value in the formula bar?

Are you using multiple monitors?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...09488256478b2d

or

http://snipurl.com/1crbf

Mike Brambley posts a link to a suggestion that worked for him.

"Gerrie" wrote:

I tried Dave's workaround, but it isn't working for me. Is there anything
else I can do. We use EXCEL spreadsheets to track absenteeism and there are
usually many many comments to add. Any suggestions for me! HELP!
--
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave's post stated...................

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

No more than you can enter into a single cell.

Reason..........if you merge 14 cells into one, you have one big cell with the
same properties as any single cell.

See Dave's post for workaround.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:00:02 -0700, roygray
wrote:

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

--

Dave Peterson