Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel docs not saving as excel docs

When I create and save an excel doc in Office 2003, I cannot open it from any
other file other than excel (my docs, etc). I get the "Windows cannot open
this file" dialogue box. Also, the icon/logo is not the standard excel logo.
This holds true for all of my excel docs whether I created them on my
computer or opened them from email.

I had the same problem with Word docs until I did the "winword /r" thing
(which I found on this community site), but I can't find an answer for excel.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Beth

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:02 -0700, beth wrote:

When I create and save an excel doc in Office 2003, I cannot open it from any
other file other than excel (my docs, etc). I get the "Windows cannot open
this file" dialogue box. Also, the icon/logo is not the standard excel logo.
This holds true for all of my excel docs whether I created them on my
computer or opened them from email.

I had the same problem with Word docs until I did the "winword /r" thing
(which I found on this community site), but I can't find an answer for excel.

Thanks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing worked. Isn't there a similar
command for this problem as there was for Word (my word docs were being saved
as wordpad text files) It's the same type of problem - I open excel, open
files, and each file name has a logo that is the square with red and blue
shapes in it rather than the standard excel logo. I can open the document
within excel, but if I try to open it going through "my docs" folder, the
"unable to open" message appears.

Thanks for your help on this.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happened when you tried the "excel.exe /regserver"?

Error message or nothing?

For Word you would have gone to StartRun "winword /r"

Excel has the "excel.exe /regserver"

Try this.................................

Open Windows Explorer.

Find an Excel file........*.xls

Right-click on it and "Open With"

Browse to Excel and select. making sure to checkmark "always use this etc."

This is the same as re-registering, but a different method.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks. i go tthe excel.exe command to work. There's no space after the
slash. Reading your posting, it looks like there is a space, but I tried it
without it. the weird thing is that looking at your response in this reply
window, it's very clear that there is no space after the slash.

Thank you! This has been fun.

Beth