Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Beth Beth is offline

Default Excel docs not saving as excel docs

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing worked. Isn't there a similar
command for this problem as there was for Word (my word docs were being saved
as wordpad text files) It's the same type of problem - I open excel, open
files, and each file name has a logo that is the square with red and blue
shapes in it rather than the standard excel logo. I can open the document
within excel, but if I try to open it going through "my docs" folder, the
"unable to open" message appears.

Thanks for your help on this.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Beth

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:02 -0700, beth wrote:

When I create and save an excel doc in Office 2003, I cannot open it from any
other file other than excel (my docs, etc). I get the "Windows cannot open
this file" dialogue box. Also, the icon/logo is not the standard excel logo.
This holds true for all of my excel docs whether I created them on my
computer or opened them from email.

I had the same problem with Word docs until I did the "winword /r" thing
(which I found on this community site), but I can't find an answer for excel.

Thanks.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP