Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Column fill first

hi all,
i have a simple questions to ask:
I have column A & column B.
In order to make it for users to fill in column B first, I need this
forumla, =ISTEXT(B1) in column A right? So that users cannot enter data in
columnA first. However, I have another forumla in columnA, =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1
to help me check for repeated data.

Therefore, =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be placed inside columnA.
So, I would like to ask, if there others way? (I dont wish to create another
column for it).
Also, =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1 and =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be combined togther as one?

thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

kyoshirou,

If you put a formula in column A, then it will be over-written when people
enter stuff into column A. Instead, use Data - Validation in column B. Set
it to "Custom." This formula is for where B2 is the active (white) cell of
your selection.

=A2<""

Be sure that "Ignore blank" is not checked.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"kyoshirou" wrote in message
hi all,
i have a simple questions to ask:
I have column A & column B.
In order to make it for users to fill in column B first, I need this
forumla, =ISTEXT(B1) in column A right? So that users cannot enter data in
columnA first. However, I have another forumla in columnA,
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1
to help me check for repeated data.

Therefore, =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be placed inside columnA.
So, I would like to ask, if there others way? (I dont wish to create
another
column for it).
Also, =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1 and =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be combined togther as
one?

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i know columnA cannot have 2 forumula.
You mean use =B2<"" inside columnB,
then coulmnA use back =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1?
It cant works.
please advice.

Thanks!

"kyoshirou" wrote in message
hi all,
i have a simple questions to ask:
I have column A & column B.
In order to make it for users to fill in column B first, I need this
forumla, =ISTEXT(B1) in column A right? So that users cannot enter data in
columnA first. However, I have another forumla in columnA,
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1
to help me check for repeated data.

Therefore, =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be placed inside columnA.
So, I would like to ask, if there others way? (I dont wish to create
another
column for it).
Also, =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1 and =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be combined togther as
one?

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

kyoshirou,

You didn't read that I meant for you to use Data - Validation (from the menu
bar). Follow these steps carefully, and I think it will do what you want:

Select the cells in column B (or all of the column if you wish). Note which
cell is the active (white) cell.

From the menu bar: Data - Validation.

Set the "Allow" box to: Custom.

In the Formula box, type: = A2<""

This is for the case where the active cell is B2. Change it accordingly.

Click OK.

Now if you attempt to enter something into a column B cell, Data Validation
will give you what we affectionately call the "Raspberry" (an ugly message)
if the corresponding cell in column A is empty. You can change that to a
nicer message in the Data Validation dialog box.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"kyoshirou" wrote in message
hi all,
i have a simple questions to ask:
I have column A & column B.
In order to make it for users to fill in column B first, I need this
forumla, =ISTEXT(B1) in column A right? So that users cannot enter data
in
columnA first. However, I have another forumla in columnA,
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1
to help me check for repeated data.

Therefore, =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be placed inside columnA.
So, I would like to ask, if there others way? (I dont wish to create
another
column for it).
Also, =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1 and =ISTEXT(B1) cannot be combined togther as
one?

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

kyoshirou,

I don't think you're reading my posts through. I will try again.

First, you may not put any formulas in column A if users will be entering
anything into column A. A cell cannot contain a formula and other data at
the same time. If users type anything into any cell, it will overwrite the
formula. The formula will be gone.

To prevent duplicate entries in column A, do these steps exactly:

Select the cells in column A you wish to control. Note the active (white)
cell.
From the meun, Data - Validation. Set "Allow" to - Custom
In the Formula box, type: =COUNTIF(A:A, A2) = 1
Change the A2 to whatever your active cell of the selection was.
Click OK.

To not allow entry into column B until something is in the cell in column A,
do the steps in my last post to you. Again, you will use Data - Validation.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

kyoshirou,

You didn't read that I meant for you to use Data - Validation (from the
menu
bar). Follow these steps carefully, and I think it will do what you
want:

Select the cells in column B (or all of the column if you wish). Note
which
cell is the active (white) cell.

From the menu bar: Data - Validation.